OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything goes alright the tank will be here tomorrow! I've contacted Legendary Aquatics in Chesapeake to move into the house on Saturday the 19th. And I've got most of the supplementary equipment. Getting closer.

1607712049870.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointing day. I thought the tank was coming in today and apparently I was mistaken. I got the turbo start and another chemical. Not a happy camper.

Attachments

• 8B0D59CF-C836-4A7C-A735-6CE8D9F34782.jpeg
    8B0D59CF-C836-4A7C-A735-6CE8D9F34782.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually hired my local fish store to move it in. Then I will set it up, leak test, and then, after I figure out my aquascape, I will have them bring in the salt water. Still working on my mixing station. I'm planning on using the same pump for that as my return pump so I will have a spare on hand.

Using this area to plan out the scape. Probably try a few variations and ask for opinions. It's about 2.5 inches less than the tank size to give a swimming area for the tangs. That is, I'm leaving a 2.5 inch lane all the way around the tank. To clean as well as provide a swimming lane for fish. Should I give them more room to swim?

1608153735416.png

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is out of the crate. The back section is a 15 Gallon ATO tank. The ATO is gravity fed. I have heard some folks have problems with it. Time will tell. You can see a sight glass at the bottom of the ATO on this side. The other side has one at the top. Convenient. The glass itself is 3/4" thick!
_DSC2556.JPG _DSC2558.JPG _DSC2559.JPG _DSC2560.JPG

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the extra goodies that came with the Algae Barn bundle. Box of Fritz salt, Carib Sea Pink Fiji sand, 120 lbs. Startup chemicals, I've got some more in the fridge. And about 145 lbs of dry rock. I'll show that in a later post as it's an interesting mix of rock. _DSC2562.JPG _DSC2563.JPG _DSC2564.JPG

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float for the ATO can be installed backwards/upside down And it will allow all the top-off water to drain completely. Don’t ask me how I know.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float for the ATO can be installed backwards/upside down And it will allow all the top-off water to drain completely. Don’t ask me how I know.
Good info. Now I just have to figure out what upside down is. Tank in going to be installed in the house tomorow. Do you have it flush to the wall or are you giving it some space? I have some chair rail along the wall and have been debating to cut it out for a flush wall fit, or, should I leave it there for a little bit of wiggle room. I started out thinking put it flush, but know, thinking about heat, wiggle room and other considerations, I think I'm going to leave the chair rail in place.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working, playing, figuring and fighting. Changing my tape. I need some swimming space because I want some tangs, angels and other critters that need room.. I taped out my space giving basically a 4.5" swim/cleaning lane around the outskirts of the tank. Then using a rough rules of 9, and completely attempting to be asymmetric I arrived at this. Left hand look, will be seen as you walk into the dining room, so must have some interest. Grabs you, I hope, and looking over the dining room table, et voila! This is only the 5th iteration, many more to come. Thoughts? I am a neophyte.
_DSC2578.JPG
_DSC2579.JPG

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be nice. I have a 3XL 900 coming some time in Jan. Wait and wait and then wait. Lots of time for planning at least. Working on My water station today.
Thanks Jeff. Been thinking about my mixing station. Originally I was going to Take and split my laundry closet and put a stackable laundry unit in there and take the other half of the closet for my station. As I research and figure out, well you know, the minutiae, I have realized that I can use the coat closet, put some hooks up elsewhere for the visitors coats, and put my mixing station in there. A couple of 24/28 g cans w/lids, plumbing and using the same pump as I have for my return and I believe I will be good to go. As a plus, if my return pump says adios, I got the replacement in house. It's only about 25 feet from that closest to the sump and even less from the closet to the driveway. Once I plan out the system I believe it will be viable and get rid of my buckets/Nalgene cans.

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. Now I just have to figure out what upside down is. Tank in going to be installed in the house tomorow. Do you have it flush to the wall or are you giving it some space? I have some chair rail along the wall and have been debating to cut it out for a flush wall fit, or, should I leave it there for a little bit of wiggle room. I started out thinking put it flush, but know, thinking about heat, wiggle room and other considerations, I think I'm going to leave the chair rail in place.
I left enough room behind the tank to get my hands behind it. This gives me the ability to add another light in the future and to have access if I drop anything behind it.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left enough room behind the tank to get my hands behind it. This gives me the ability to add another light in the future and to have access if I drop anything behind it.
Leave the chair rail in place. Pretty much what I was thinking, just getting some back up. Tnx...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back