Run ATO only at night?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a RedSea ATO+, would there be any negative effects I’m not thinking of running my ATO only at night? Day to day my top off is anywhere from 0.6 - 1g per day on 150g+ of total system water, so I don’t think the salinity would be much if a swing, if any. I’ve suspended the pump a bit but it’s still a bit on the loud side (hence why I want to run only during sleeping hours).

Auto pump disable is after 5 mins of continuous run time by default (should it not get shut off by the titanium probes). 5 mins should be no more than about 5-6 Gallons on the high side (75gph rated pump at no loss).

I’m not sure I’m thinking of anything else.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers don't have auto top off and they add evaporated water manually.
With this size tank , you will be more than fine to run ATO only at night.
One think to ponder though is water level in sump, which might impact performance of skimmer.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a RedSea ATO+, would there be any negative effects I’m not thinking of running my ATO only at night? Day to day my top off is anywhere from 0.6 - 1g per day on 150g+ of total system water, so I don’t think the salinity would be much if a swing, if any. I’ve suspended the pump a bit but it’s still a bit on the loud side (hence why I want to run only during sleeping hours).

Auto pump disable is after 5 mins of continuous run time by default (should it not get shut off by the titanium probes). 5 mins should be no more than about 5-6 Gallons on the high side (75gph rated pump at no loss).

I’m not sure I’m thinking of anything else.
As long as your pump doesn't run dry during the day, this is fine.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One think to ponder though is water level in sump, which might impact performance of skimmer.
My skimmer chamber stays consistent, only my return chamber varies, but I’m not running a skimmer right now because the fleece roller is stripping my tank of nutrients. It’s so convenient and efficient, but at the cost of being too clean lol

As long as your pump doesn't run dry during the day, this is fine.

Oh yeah, didn’t think of that. I’ll have to calculate how much headroom I have with a topped off sump. Thanks for this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back