Run with no filter floss or mechanical media?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cgr124
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cgr124

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2021
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m starting a new tank upgrading from a nano tank I’ve had for 3 years. Soft coral, gobies, shrimp, and rock flower nem. I’m looking at the IM 20 peninsula or 25g lagoon. Curious if anyone runs tanks like this or any reef tank without mechanical media? I’ve always used filter floss but I’m wondering if I can just do weekly water changes with biological and chemical filters and forgo mechanical filters like floss, sponges, and socks? I feel like they restrict water flow and may not be necessary. If it’s a bad idea, I’ll stick with floss but just wanted to see if there are any new theories on running reef tanks this way. Thanks
 
I don't run floss anymore. Just let it all flow through. Something will eat it and it will turn into mulm, which I understand is a normal part of a reef. I have an algae scrubber and macroalgae for filtration. Water change every now and then.
 
If you commit to WC weekly, you can run on just a skimmer...
especially (no offense) with that small of a tank......2.5G WC every weekend.....wont even need to dose.....
 
I run my 15 gallon without any filtration, just 2 powerheads and weekly (5 gallon) water changes, its over 3 years old and thriving.
 
I run small skimmers. Do small water changes. No socks or filter media. If you have sufficient rock you're covered with regard to biological filtration. You can use sponge or floss to polish and then remove the media.
 
Hi all, I’m starting a new tank upgrading from a nano tank I’ve had for 3 years. Soft coral, gobies, shrimp, and rock flower nem. I’m looking at the IM 20 peninsula or 25g lagoon. Curious if anyone runs tanks like this or any reef tank without mechanical media? I’ve always used filter floss but I’m wondering if I can just do weekly water changes with biological and chemical filters and forgo mechanical filters like floss, sponges, and socks? I feel like they restrict water flow and may not be necessary. If it’s a bad idea, I’ll stick with floss but just wanted to see if there are any new theories on running reef tanks this way. Thanks
I typically run no filter socks. They are only in right now battling dinos.... and I put them in if I vacuum sand.

Otherwise my only nutrient export is an algae turf scrubber
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new