Running a Skimmer Without the Cup?

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,237
Reaction score
42,946
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae scrubber and protein skimmer on my sps reef tank. I was having issues with elevated nitrate, so that’s why I have the scrubber. Instead of turning the lights on and off the scrubber to control nitrate removal (It was dropping pretty good), I just took the cup off the skimmer. This allows the ph to stay up and provide some aeration for the tank, but not remove waste.

I’ve been doing this the last two months, and it has kept the nitrate level pretty stable. I have always had to dose phosphate because sps coral seem to absorb it.

I was wondering if anyone else has run a skimmer with the cup off? And what was the outcome?
 
Seems like a very expensive airstone at that point.
Yeah, but it was already sitting there. Plus if I need to use it again it’s a quick fix to skim again by putting the cup back on.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new