Running GFO parttime

WalleyeGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2022
Messages
38
Reaction score
25
Location
Saint Paul
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know that running too much GFO is a bad thing because it can strip the water of all phosphate and drop levels too fast and cause issues. Or at least I think that is how it works. I know you can run too much GFO for sure. anyhow... I had a thought, I have a large GFO reactor that is clearly way too much for my 65gal setup to be running all the time. Heck, it can hold 6 cups of media at a time. I like to feed my fish nori and frozen foods so my phosphates do tend to rise pretty steady and the mini gfo reactor just isn't keeping up with the phosphate levels so I was thinking maybe I could run gfo in my un-used jumbo 4.5x10" reactor and just run it part time. My thought was that since it was oversized, i could run it for part of the day and then turn it off so i don't over do it with the GFO. Is this a really dumb idea or worth trying? Thoughts??
 
Not dumb. Start with a few hours and then slowly ramp up. A timer will make this a lot easier to manage as well.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new