Running low nitrate experiment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Casper T.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Casper T.

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2021
Messages
22
Reaction score
3
Location
Denmark
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a pretty serious filtration system, on my 300l aquarium. After 6 month without any maintenance at all, because i had given up, on my aquarium, due to explosions in the number of sea anemone, and not really liking the aqua scaping, i decided to change most of the rocks. The tank was sooooo polluted, with nitrate way beyond 100. I changed my rocks 3 weeks ago. I keept some rocks, bio balls and the sand. After 3 weeks my nitrate is 5ppm. Yes yes i know corals dont like it. But almost all corals where dead, and the once remaining seems happy to get clean water 😊 Now my experiment will be to feed 4 times a day, small doses, with both coral food and fish food, to mimic the ocean a bit more, than feeding only twice. I wiil see if corals (have bought a lot) will thrive with low nitrate, but a lot of food particles. Of course I will test every day for nitrate and phosphate, in the beginning to see if everything is going downhill 😊


Any constructive thoughts. All haters can find someone else to throw their bad vibes on 😂

I will keep all interested updated.
 
Corals can thrive in low nitrate. This tank tested 1.2 this morning and often tests zero when I'll dose a little ammonium. I feed the corals light but you may be referring to LPS?

PXL_20250718_025253390~3.jpg
 
Corals can thrive in low nitrate. This tank tested 1.2 this morning and often tests zero when I'll dose a little ammonium. I feed the corals light but you may be referring to LPS?

PXL_20250718_025253390~3.jpg
I have a mixed aquarium, feeding tropic marin zoo and phyto powder.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new