Running my protein skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter ndz98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2015
Messages
1,949
Reaction score
1,091
Location
Cookeville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my protein skimmer on my tank today and I realized how loud it actually was. The tank is in my bedroom so that's why I'm trying to find out if the sound can be minimized. It's a BakPak Protein Skimmer by CPR. I don't have any corals in my tank yet but I plan on getting some this weekend. An idea I had was could I run it during the day and turn it off at night or should I run it 24/7? If I have to run it 24/7 then I can get over it.
 
You might try adding a muffler to the air intake and see if it helps. Check to see if the pump or other hardware are touching the tank glass.
 
Does it have a muffler to the air intake?
Is it a sucking sound - Vibration sound - or just a loud pump?
I don't think it has a muffler. It just has a little screw type thing in the intake to adjust the air flow. When I close it all the way it becomes more quiet but it doesn't produce any bubbles in the skimmer. The noise might be a combination of the air intake and pump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new