Running pumps in Citric Acid

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has ran pumps in Citric Acid? My skimmer pump and return pump has hard spots to get and I’m willing to leave them dipped for many hours but I feel if I ran them at some point, it would help loosen anything down in the tough spots.

So, have you ran a pump in Citric Acid?
Also, if you have, did you have any problems with it and did it fix your problems?

I have a RSK600 skimmer and that pump us already been swapped out once and now this one seems to be acting up. Nothing is stuck in there. Gets loud one day and the next quiet. Tube is free from debris.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has ran pumps in Citric Acid? My skimmer pump and return pump has hard spots to get and I’m willing to leave them dipped for many hours but I feel if I ran them at some point, it would help loosen anything down in the tough spots.

So, have you ran a pump in Citric Acid?
I’ve used citric acid for cleaning powerheads and gyres. It’s not strong enough to clean them when completely covered in algae and coralline. I don’t see how this will do any harm. I also doubt it will clean them very well. Taking apart and scrubbing is what works best for me.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve ran my skimmers and pumps with no issues at all. Nyos 120 and a Regal 202 were both filthy animals so they needed a good cleaning. Did it in a trash can and worked great.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed from using Vinegar this year to Citric Acid and run my pumps/gyres right in a 5 gallon bucket solution of it.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran my absolutely coated power heads in a citric acid solution and it worked great. I let them sit for a long time though (5 hours I think) and was scrubbing about every hour.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you buying liquid or mixing the powder? Citric is better than vinegar I hear because some companies are voiding warranties if you soak in vinegar

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it all the time but for tough growth it’s diluted muriatic acid. Works much faster and doesn’t destroy coated magnets like vinegar does.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely won’t hurt them to run in acid, but the one thing I will say is that the pumps are probably stronger than you think and there is a good chance of acid splashing out of the container when you turn them on. Be careful to do it in an area where nothing around them will be damaged if acid splashes out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Muriatic, which is stronger than citric acid, but both get diluted. It works just fine. Just be careful. I like to do it outside on the rocks on the side of my house so that any splashes or fumes are dissipated harmlessly.

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice replies everyone!!!! Thanks for the great info too!

Here’s what I did, I soaked them as I usually do and scrubbed them good! Then I ran them in it and everything else came off!!!
Strongly recommend this to anyone!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used citric acid for cleaning powerheads and gyres. It’s not strong enough to clean them when completely covered in algae and coralline. I don’t see how this will do any harm. I also doubt it will clean them very well. Taking apart and scrubbing is what works best for me.
Depends how much citric acid you add, mines come out brand new after a couple hours.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Muriatic, which is stronger than citric acid, but both get diluted. It works just fine. Just be careful. I like to do it outside on the rocks on the side of my house so that any splashes or fumes are dissipated harmlessly.

Can you share your ratio used to dilute to for cleaning?

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on citric acid. I ran my powerheads in citric acid for a few hours and the coralline easily came off. I was able to buy a 5 pound bag off Amazon for like $15

On BRS they suggested using 3/4 cup of citric acid per gallon of water. I don't really measure, and I kind of just eyeball it

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my pumps in Citric Acid all the time... cleans them out quite well and has not caused any problems.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy mine from BRS but so much cheaper on amazon. Theirs all say food grade though. Has anyone used from amazon? Can you recommed one

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy mine from BRS but so much cheaper on amazon. Theirs all say food grade though. Has anyone used from amazon? Can you recommed one

As noted in your other thread, food grade is a good choice.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share your ratio used to dilute to for cleaning?

I know this question is old and you didn't ask me, but a typical cleaning concentration is one part acid added to 10 parts tap or RO/DI water. Be careful to not spill or splash the muriatic acid on yourself and especially not in your eyes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back