Running pumps with or w/o sponge?

Bugsy_Barboza

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2015
Messages
290
Reaction score
165
Location
37207
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who runs their pump using the sponges or who doesn't use the sponges?
 
If it's a circulation pump if you have an anemone then yeah but if you have nothing that will get up on there then no sponge. If it's a return or a feed line to anything then yeah it's always good
 
I have no sponges on any pumps.....on all powerheads and return/skimmer/biopellet/reactor pumps, Never had an issue...and that's with anemones.
 
Bad thing about sponges is you have to keep them cleaned out. They clog up quickly and are nitrate generators.
 
I use prefilter on my return pump... I have 3 of them and rotate as needed.... my return section stays fairly clean however
 
the only reason I use filters on my pumps is because I seem to raise trocious snails like crazy and the get sucked in without a sponge cloging everything up
 
Bad thing about sponges is you have to keep them cleaned out. They clog up quickly and are nitrate generators.
Yeah that's the set back and it bites, But I do it to protect the impeller mostly. I have sponges in my wet dry filter between the external return pump Bulkhead strainers and the rest of the WD filter. Knock on wood ,pump is 15+ years old and still has Original impeller too. A Gen-X pump that keeps on pumping. NO complaints here.
 
I place a bunch of rubble rock around the return pump kinda acts like a sponge. About every month I rotate them around and place a few in the display tank to place the pods back in the display.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new