Running RODI tubing outside

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I’m in the planning stage of getting my automatic topoff and water change system going. I’m pretty positive I”m going to go with a Tunze Osmolator for ato and a stenner pump for awc. I’m currently running a 75 gallon sumpless system, but this should be an easy system to fit to a bigger sump containing system down the line. Anyway, my only real route to do this is to run the tubing out an exterior wall behind my tank, and along the outside of my house to the garage where my water storage is. This is a very straightforward path and project, but my only concern is during the winter how to prevent freezing issues. I’m in central Alabama so we don’t deal with anything too crazy. It’ll get to the teens, but that’s about it. I was thinking about running all the tubing through a PVC conduit and either using one of those pipe heaters from home depot or just wrapping it generously with some insulating tape. Do any of you guys have experience with this or suggestions?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would think running it in pvc is a good idea. Think with enough ventilation through the pipe from tank to garage would be enough heat

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a PVC/CPVC conduit with some pipe insulation would be a good start, might even be enough on its own. A pipe heater/heat tape might be overkill, but I could see a setup that creates a positive draft that pulls air from the house to the garage. Maybe use a slightly oversize conduit with an open end behind the tank and a junction box at the garage end with a small fan mounted to the lid. If your furnace is in the garage you might be able to connect a PVC duct to the air return so that it pull air from the house when the heat is on.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where the OP is. If it's somewhere that gets really cold, I'd stick it in a PVC pipe with some self regulating heat trace in there as well and wrap the whole thing in pipe insulation.
Personally, I'd be weary of using heat sourced from the house (or garage) as that's going to result in really cold air being blown into a heated space. Plus, you'll wind up with a *ton* of condensation (like, enough that you're going to have to deal with it somehow). Using some heat trace would work better, I think.

OP
OP
R

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where the OP is. If it's somewhere that gets really cold, I'd stick it in a PVC pipe with some self regulating heat trace in there as well and wrap the whole thing in pipe insulation.
Personally, I'd be weary of using heat sourced from the house (or garage) as that's going to result in really cold air being blown into a heated space. Plus, you'll wind up with a *ton* of condensation (like, enough that you're going to have to deal with it somehow). Using some heat trace would work better, I think.

I'm in central Alabama. Like I said, the high teens are about as low as it'll get. Maybe very rarely it will get to 12 or 13 degrees. I'm glad you mentioned the condensation thing. That's good stuff to know.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see condensation being a problem with such small tubing, with air exchange. Especially if the pipe is pitched to allow it to drain. If the pipe has some rise from warm to colder it will allow flow of air (heat rises). Which may be enough, or you could add some powered ventilation

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air drawn from the living space should be relatively dry, but if it cools significantly in the conduit then there could be some condensation. If the conduit is insulated and the air flow is high enough the temperature in the conduit shouldn't be much lower than the house.

That said, self regulating heat trace is great stuff. A little cost to install and operate but should be foolproof. You might want to wire it through a temp switch that senses temp from outside (or inside the conduit) so its not drawing power all the time. Or you could just remember to turn it on in cold weather.

OP
OP
R

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air drawn from the living space should be relatively dry, but if it cools significantly in the conduit then there could be some condensation. If the conduit is insulated and the air flow is high enough the temperature in the conduit shouldn't be much lower than the house.

That said, self regulating heat trace is great stuff. A little cost to install and operate but should be foolproof. You might want to wire it through a temp switch that senses temp from outside (or inside the conduit) so its not drawing power all the time. Or you could just remember to turn it on in cold weather.

Any heat trace you recommend? Is it one of these? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...X6-U1vkj7s8DXIwogQRoCx5EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the item you have linked is a basic heat "tape", and while it will work I prefer the Self Regulating heat "trace" style. The difference between the two is that the unregulated type is a fixed wattage and the self regulating type varies its resistance (wattage) based on the temperature of the tape its self. Both types can work with a thermostat so they are only on below the preset temperature.

This is the self regulating version I have used in the past:

OP
OP
R

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the item you have linked is a basic heat "tape", and while it will work I prefer the Self Regulating heat "trace" style. The difference between the two is that the unregulated type is a fixed wattage and the self regulating type varies its resistance (wattage) based on the temperature of the tape its self. Both types can work with a thermostat so they are only on below the preset temperature.

This is the self regulating version I have used in the past:

Thanks so much!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back