OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a great box from wesf here on r2r. Frags looked great.
0508131212-2.jpg

Sent from my LGL75C using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is finished cycling it took quite a while. the first fish to be added was my blue hippo tang who has been through thick and thin she is about 2 years old and has lived in our 75 and when we relocated was moved to a 55 packed full of live rock and then a 20 gallon while the 55 was cleaned and rock moved.well she is loving the extra room in the tank getting used to the extra flow from the 4 power heads.
I've added a few frags after mounting my LED's mostly LPS and 1 mushroom. I then added the SPS I received from Wes it was in a holding tank in the basement lit by t5 and seems to be coloring up better now that its under the LED's. I have them on the bottom of the tank and far left. Farthest from the lights possible and will be moved up an inch or so a week to get used to the lights.

Question for anyone out there that own vortex and apex. I have them set at reef crest random and a hundred percent but I am not liking when they go to a lower flow. If I were to buy the wireless module would I be able to create a program for them so that they only go maybe 50 to a hundred percent and don't drop to the low Flow zone but still create a random flow pattern?

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0515131315.jpg

0515131315a.jpg

0515131345.jpg

Fresh water rodi 58 gallon plastic barrels linked together with uni seal. Works great but the pipe was a PITA to get into the uniseal due to the thickness of the barrels

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0512130156a.jpg

0512130157.jpg

0512130158.jpg

Had to creat a hanging solution because the hangers included were too long. The leds would hang in the water. So I got aluminum and drilled holes in them. Used nuts to hold the aluminum to the leds. Then I used nylon spaces and screwed the aluminum to the canopy. There is a gap for the air flow and the lights look good and allow me to get into tank without getting in the way.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try to block my over flows with gutter guard so fish can't get in. I will post pics when done

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0603130115b.jpg

0603130115a.jpg

0603130115.jpg

Hope this works. Gutter guard at an angle super glued to my weir. And gutter guard just cut to size and wedged into corners at an angle.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everthing has been going good. Getting sps acclimated to lights. Installed my 2 reactors and have them up and running. Will post a pic soon. Also added a float switch from rodi unit to keep sump topped off.

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Rock is simple and provides a lot of landscape. Will look great covered in those sps.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had made a filter sock holder. But I'm unsure how effective the socks are because they are half submerged. Won't this just allow the trapped detritus to "disolve" in the water? Should I move them up so they are out of the water?

zoa_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started adding screening in canopy tonight so jumpers won't get stuck on ledge of aquarium or by the canopy doors. Ran into a kind of issue. The screen doesn't lay flat against the tank. Is there some sort of weight I can use like coated washers nuts magnets or something to hold it down?

zoa_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425665328.722827.jpg
this is the issue need to try to figure out how to weigh down The flap so the fish can't jump into the ledge that's by the door of the canopy

zoa_addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added these pictures from my iPhone not sure if anyone can see them since it's showing an image code for me

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a long bought of dinoflagellates but they are finally gone. Getting tank stocked with corals and fish is my new goal. Just plumbed my frag tank into main system last night to help keep stability. Once corals are in main tank I will make it a fuge.

Display is stocked as follows.

1 yellow tang
1 engineer goby
1 blue chromis

Miami hurricane extremely orange mummy eye and and unknown purple chalice, trumpet, pipe organ, blasts colony and 2 torch corals. All seem to be doing well under LEDs with the exception of the mummy eye which is orange and not green and seems to look clear under bright white light.

Red fire fish is in QT and is reading zero ammonia and 5 ppm nitrate. Which is such a good sign because I can never seem to keep my QT tank cycled. I will treat with pratap row and copper and hope that tank stays cycled.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured out how to get the flaps i made to stay closed and flat. I used jb weld water weld 2 part epoxy and mixed up a small amount and used it to hold a small neo-magnet to the screening and pressed the putty on both sides of the screen to hold it on. works like a charm. i will get a new photo up soon.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to March's fosters and smith LA Divers Den tour this last weekend. picked up a few CUC guys, a crocea clam, TCN pink with blue tip millie, a blasto and some ding dands. As well as a terminal phase royal/angular flasher wrasse Paracheilinus angulatus. Didnt get his pic because I bought it in person, but this guy was my second choice as they looked very similar but i liked the one i bought better.
p angulatus purchase.jpg

not sure why this photo of bleached out bta from 28g got in here or how to remove

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received another nice box from Aqua SD today. Thought I would post a few pics of my frag tank. It's a bit full and I think I am done buying coral for a while.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428524381.881334.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428524613.455681.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back