Rust in protien skimmer pump - possible contamination, replace pump?

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been posting few posts asking why some zoas, GSP and cloves does not do well while all parameters are good. One post I found suggest look for any contamination, so first i added poly filter in the sump bubble filter area to remove any contamination, second started inspecting all pumps and any metal stuff, I had a maxijet 1200 in sump return, i took it out and replaced with new, no other metal clamps or similar, finally started taking apart Bubblemagus protien skimmer and i found this rust like in the pump (see pic) I beleive it is rust and I also beleive the pump need to be replaced instead of cleaning and re-using them.

Its Bubblemagus Curve 5 Protien Skimmer (amazon cost now is $200) I got this along when i got my tank used, so it could be used for 3 years.
The replacement pump is around $65

What is the best? replace pump!
Please advise, thanks.

FYI:
I also use sicce pump for return which came with the tank as old, should i be inspecting them?
WAV pumps from neptune are a year old and i think it should be ok.

IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank will be healthier without a skimmer for a while rather than continuing to leave that pump in the water.
Replace the pump or the whole skimmer, but either way don't put that pump back in the water.
-risk of lethal contaminants
-risk of electric shock

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys, i removed and will order the pump today. I haven't got change to inspect the sicce return pump yet, How long is okay to be offline for the return pump. May be i should get a new pump anyway, what is the recommendation for a 73gal red sea tank?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt replace. The cost of a 150$ pump is less than 1 coral for some of us. Replace it. Then take the old one and tear it down and clean it, inspect it. If it's good put it in the good pile as a backup for when you clean the new one or have a failure. you'll have a good back up. If there's signs of rust trash it.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt replace. The cost of a 150$ pump is less than 1 coral for some of us. Replace it. Then take the old one and tear it down and clean it, inspect it. If it's good put it in the good pile as a backup for when you clean the new one or have a failure. you'll have a good back up. If there's signs of rust trash it.

Is Sicce still a good pump to buy or which brand is best?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Replacing items that are presenting corrosion is not a bad idea, especially if you're having problems. While I usually don't flip over small signs of rust (after all many use rust to remove phosphate in the form of gfo), the pump housing in the picture is definitely cracked.

This could be exposing your tank to the pump internals which could include copper windings, other heavy metals, oils, electricity, and chemicals. I would definitely replace this pump. I disassemble, clean, and inspect all equipment once a quarter.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing items that are presenting corrosion is not a bad idea, especially if you're having problems. While I usually don't flip over small signs of rust (after all many use rust to remove phosphate in the form of gfo), the pump housing in the picture is definitely cracked.

This could be exposing your tank to the pump internals which could include copper windings, other heavy metals, oils, and other chemicals. I would definitely replace this pump. I disassemble, clean, and inspect all equipment once a quarter.
I didn't eve see the crack in the housing. Could be leaching stray voltage too then.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the round plate of the protein skiller that goes right on top of the pump with no gap, there is no crack but i suspect the rust might have coming from inside thru the propeller and exit.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They now have Sicce 5.0, is it too much for 73g (91g whole)? considering i have manifold with 4 valve, only one is open to Phosphan reactor? Is that pump really bigger than sicce 3.0

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that i removed the rusted pump and added a poly filter, How long does it actually take for that the contamination to be gone from the system, I plan to do 20% water change every week.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that i removed the rusted pump and added a poly filter, How long does it actually take for that the contamination to be gone from the system, I plan to do 20% water change every week.

You may want to consider adding ChemiPure Blue to a high flow area of the system to help with the removal of metals.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I see this thread is older but I have the same exact issue with my pump. How did you ever make out. Now I’m wondering if I should just remove the skimmer for now until I get another pump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back