Rust on wet side of MP40?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

See attached pic, cleaned my MP40QD and there are 2 rust colored spots on the white plastic pin part that the propellor spins on. Do you think this is rust? Is this normal? The unit is only a year old.....

Thanks.

Rust?.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this rust and discoloration on the wetside shaft is a fairly normal thing with Vortechs. Ecotech claims that this won’t have any adverse effects on your livestock. Ecotech apologists will chime in with a very condescending, “you run GFO, don’t you?” :rolleyes: I have 2 MP40QDs and live with rust on the shaft begrudgingly considering the premium price point we paid.

The more important thing to check on is if the plastic magnet casing on the wetside is fully intact with no visible cracks. Any cracks will put saltwater in contact with the big magnet and it will swell up, contaminate your tank and potentially mess up your dry side due to rotor imbalance.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is known to happen. I have two MP 40's and one has the same rust spot. I too have contacted them and they claim it is perfectly normal. The metal shaft is 316L stainless steel with a PVD coating FWIW

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back