Rust Question

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by thunderdood, Jun 19, 2017.

1. thunderdood

thunderdood Member

Does anyone know if rust in the aquarium has any impact? I just moved my tank over the weekend and found that one of the magnets on the inside of the frag rack came right off and was rusted.

Tags:

2. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

It could, depending on what metals are being released. I'd remove the magnet. if corals seem fine, I wouldn't do anything. If they are suffering, I'd use one of the metal binding products (metasorb, polyfilter, etc.).

3. thunderdood

thunderdood Member

Yeah, the frag rack and magnets are definitely not going back in the tank. So far the corals are fine.

4. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Most of rust is iron oxide and isn't a concern. Other metals can be, but if nothing is apparently suffering, I wouldn't worry. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted