Rusty Cabinet Hinges + High Tin

Jakeloopy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had ongoing issues with my reef for months now. After tons of trial and error I can’t find the issue. Finally I send a water sample to triton and find out I have high levels of tin. Then I send another sample a few months later and the tin went even higher. I went through my entire tank and can’t find any rusting. Finally I examine the stand and I notice the hinges are very rusty. So much so I cannot even unscrew them normally. My main question is, are hinges that are not directly over the sump able to add so much tin to my tank. Next, any advice further? Been using carbon and cuprizorb. Fritz salt. Fusion 1 & 2.
All advice welcome.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace the hinges with new stainless steel ones, then test again in a month or so and you'll have your answer. I suspect that the amount of rust oxidizing and aerosolizing is trace, at best though.

OP
OP
J

Jakeloopy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace the hinges with new stainless steel ones, then test again in a month or so and you'll have your answer. I suspect that the amount of rust oxidizing and aerosolizing is trace, at best though.
I agree, I don’t understand how a metal that is not tin would make tin present in my aquarium…

ryandarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you recommend getting replacement hinges?

I have a CADLights Cabinet (picture of the empty setup in my profile pic) and one of the hinges just broke, due to corrosion it looks like. Looks like CADLights is no longer in business local to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back