OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
qt is up and cycling, need a bigger power head and some pvc still. not pictured is a bag of media rings and two cubes that have been cooking in my other 40 gallon.

confirmed tank pickup for this saturday, starting to get concerned about getting it down to my basement. Waiting to hear back from an LFS about some assistance with moving.

Attachments

• qt setup.jpg
    qt setup.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just some more thought collection here i guess...

Finalized my QT plan and ordered meds:
-Ruby reef Rally pro for initial dip
-Prazipro
-Coppersafe
-still need to get some CP for certain fish

First QT batch im hoping to do a decent sized group of small fish:
- my 2 blood orange ocellaris (they are jerks/territorial in the current tank but its overstocked. Bonded pair)
-maybe the goby
-1-2 fairy wrasses if available locally
-bangai cardinals: i have a bonded pair currently but would like more. will probably get some new ones to start and add bonded pair later.

second qt - slightly larger fish:
-more wrasses?
-less aggressive tangs (powder/naso)

really planning on NOT shipping any fish for now.

getting very excited!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as luck would have it, BRS just announced a sicce sale. after some sketches it looks like ill wind up at about 12 ft of head pressure.

I'm not sure if i should do syncra 7's or 9's, seems both would be running below max which is what im after. looks like the 7's would provide a minimum of about 700 gph in each return. Planning to do the initial exit from the pumps in flexible silicone hose since the syncra's outlet can be angled and therefore eliminate at least one 90 from each.

will also be using VCA 1.25" random flow generators on the outlets.

1400gph return flow would likely be about 7x turnover through the sump...

211815-sicce-syncra-sdc6-pump-flow-chart_1.jpg
What is the size of the return plumbing? I used 2 Cor 20s with 1" returns and could only get 1100gph at 100 percent combined. I just redid my returns and changed pumps and return sizing.

OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting to get hands on and confirm but i believe the drains are 1.5" and return is 1.25".

and im right now realizing the FMM sensors dont come in 1.25, so hopefully its got a 2" on it...

OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made it home safely with the tank in one piece. the seller was kind enough to have it out of his house when i got there. I race go karts as a side hobby so i have a wheeled stand meant to carry 400 pounds, popped the tank on it and rolled it right into my trailer no trouble. Came with what feels like about 100lbs of caribsea rock. have to decide to how clean it...

should be more activity in here from now on...please excuse the mess of my trailer/garage, its also build a new race car season lol.

Attachments

• IMG_9567.jpg
    IMG_9567.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9568.jpg
    IMG_9568.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9569.jpg
    IMG_9569.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a snow storm coming tonight/tomorrow so I was worried about everything being stuck in my trailer.

had to do some thinking/be creative as my wife wasnt able to help me lift the stand, but managed to get it in the house and down into the basement. Served as proof of concept for plan to also move the tank, but its going to be...difficult.

you can now see how the tank is going to set up the room. Have a plumbing order coming in hopefully tomorrow to redo the drains/returns.

Attachments

• IMG_9585.jpg
    IMG_9585.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9586.jpg
    IMG_9586.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a lot of phone calls and a local LFS flaking on me, i managed to get a moving company to actually show up and move the tank in to place! a wad of cash later and we're FINALLY in business!!!

I'm super happy with how well it fit the space overall. You can see the are starting to take shape as a useable room now, there will eventually be a an L couch in place of the weight bench and a wall mounted tv or projector on the large open well next to the tank.

Attachments

• tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 27
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started mocking up the returns last night. I had to get creative since im stuck with going over the back.

this is what i was finally happy with, had to order more parts to complete it of course but there with be another 90, then a 45 that ends with the 1" VCA random flow generator. Im trying to keep it as tight to the back wall so that the two nozzles provide the majority of the swirling current through the tank. The "u" piece is just making sure they fit in the screen top cutout.

Attachments

• IMG_9787.jpg
    IMG_9787.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9788.jpg
    IMG_9788.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a little work done on the returns today. happier with how it looks now, but of course...dont have enuogh 90's to do the other line :facepalm:

also got some better lighting setup with some amazon led's i had around. then realized im gonna need to switch over to weather/waterproof stuff

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpg
    IMG_9815.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9816.jpg
    IMG_9816.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9817.jpg
    IMG_9817.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently having an internal battle on return pump choice...

My head height totals about 12 feet aacounting for all elbows etc. I had been planning on using dual syncra 9's but im starting to wonder if its truly overkill...

Cor20 anyone?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back