S2K's SPS Tank

s2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome site and since I have been spending some time here, I thought I might as well update my tank pics here.

My tank is about 6 months old now since transferring from my 34 gallon solana. Started this build over in another forum so I will transfer the stuff over and continue on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

7/7/09
I just got a new tank over the July 4th holiday weekend. This is a big upgrade from the 34 gallon solana tank that I currently have so I would appreciate your comments/advices/criticisms.

I was lucky the tank fit through the front door with only an 1" or so each side.

I have absolutely no experience in plumbing so I am researching the best way.

Tank Info:
Leemar 48x30x20 1/2" 3 sided starfire pennisula style
Black Cabinet with doors on both sides
IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

I think it have 1.5" drain and two 3/4" return. And two holes on the overflow box.

Sump: I have no idea. Anyone have a good design in mind. I was thinking of the basic Skimmer/Fuge/Return. Plumbing will be a challenge as I think I have to T-off the return to two holes going back up.

Skimmer: I am looking at the I-Tech 100 or 200 with the Tunze pump or a used ATB cone for the same price.

Return Pump - Looking at the new Tunze return. There two models with 650ish and 792 gph. I prefer an effiecient return pump over a powerful one since it's easy to add another pump to the display. Either this tunze or the Eheim return.

Flow - I currently have the MP20 and a tunze 6045. Maybe a MP40 or two modded 6025s.

Lighting - Initially I was looking into the ATI sunpower 6x54, but I think this might not have enough coverage. The sunpower does not make 8 bulb fixture and the Powermodule is more pricey.

I just found out that the tiles are uneven so that has to be taken care of first before I do anything else. Any suggestion? Maybe homedepot will have something to put under the stand.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have on sump, plumbing, lighting or anything else. I want to do it right the first time and not have to redo anything.

OP
OP
S

s2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/09

I am using my EF 50mm 1.8. I still need some practice taking pictures. Someday I'll get a macro lens. Everything is starting to grow out pretty well now.

IMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6378.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6360.jpg

OP
OP
S

s2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/7/10

Here are some updated pictures since my tank has been up for about 5 months now. The dosing pump has been really good since I am pretty lazy when I did manual dosing.

Pink L - starting to grow a bit from the 12/09 picture above. So that's about 30 days. Also in the picture is my forest fire digi, rasp. prostrata? and garf bonsai.
IMG_7085.jpg

OP
OP
S

s2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're all caught up in three posts...

Updates: I ended up going with the tunze return for energy effiency, alpha 200, vortechs for flow and a litermeter for dosing. Parameters are stable and everything is starting to grow.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you like the construction of the Leemar tank? Any flaws in it? Is the black silicone applied evenly and neatly on the corners? I am thinking about ordering a rimless Leemar soon. Thanks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back