Sabella's 450L mixed reef build thread

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats basically what i do on a weekly basis, none of my hermits or snails eat it and i was going to try getting an emerald crab but i feel its going to gwt murdered the second he goes in their
Dang man thats a pretty serious bubble algae problem if you cant win with a tang and peroxide.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dang man thats a pretty serious bubble algae problem if you cant win with a tang and peroxide.
Lol its not that bad, theres just some spots i cant get too because the rocks are all bonded together. So it just keeps windind up growing places

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Our setups are almost identical. The light and all. My bulb combo is also too blue for me. I run
3 ATI Blue plus
1 Coral plus
2 Actinic.
I plan on installing another coral plus this week. Or some kind of equivalent white bulb. Keep us posted with your bulb combo.

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sabellafella even our fish stocking list is almost identical. Only I'm going with CopperBand Butterfly instead of Naso. Same clowns and all. Great minds think alike!

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Love your evansi anthias! So rare to see those in good color and condition.
Oh how much i love them, THEY EAT BITS OF NORI ontop of lrs and drgs brineshrimp. I honestly didnt think they were going to last so long, its ben 7 months and they eat 3 times a day like piglets. 0 aggression othen then at night when the tangs guard their post

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nice setup. Our setups are almost identical. The light and all. My bulb combo is also too blue for me. I run
3 ATI Blue plus
1 Coral plus
2 Actinic.
I plan on installing another coral plus this week. Or some kind of equivalent white bulb. Keep us posted with your bulb combo.
Sabellafella even our fish stocking list is almost identical. Only I'm going with CopperBand Butterfly instead of Naso. Same clowns and all. Great minds think alike!
Hows the actinic? And yup when. The naso gets a bit bigger im going to toss him in the 200, still thinking of what fish is going to replace him (my purple tangs a doof)

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Love your evansi anthias! So rare to see those in good color and condition.
Really have to give credit to my lfs though,they came in great shape. i had them special ordered because ive kept tuka before and thought id take the plung. I cant seem to find alot of info or even 1 thread of people keeping them with photos, ive ben trying to figureout how to determine their sex as the lfs claimed they are all female. Any help appriciated

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to find alot of info or even 1 thread of people keeping them with photos, ive ben trying to figureout how to determine their sex as the lfs claimed they are all female. Any help appriciated

I'm no help, because I've also seen very few of them. The ones I have seen, none stood out as looking different from the rest, but that doesn't mean much. Could be all females in tanks, or could be there is no visible difference between them. How large are yours?

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm no help, because I've also seen very few of them. The ones I have seen, none stood out as looking different from the rest, but that doesn't mean much. Could be all females in tanks, or could be there is no visible difference between them. How large are yours?
I got them at 1 3/4, there over 3 inches now easy. Ill post a closeup of them tomorro, 1 of them has darker red specks then the others. I honestly dont think they change in appearance because atleast one of them 100% wouldve changed by now

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-01-07-00-55-07.png
Took this pic 2 months into the bulbs, par valued at 13inches above the waterline. Sence then dropped it down to 9

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
1457994333614.jpg
1457994366694.jpg
this is my mess under the hood, took the reactors out for now untill i hookup my manifold, just stuff carbon in mesh bags and laythem in the bubbletrap. Was dosing magnesium but im religious with doing waterchanges so why waste more money.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats basically what i do on a weekly basis, none of my hermits or snails eat it and i was going to try getting an emerald crab but i feel its going to gwt murdered the second he goes in their

Or you'll want to murder it after it eats a few corals. Mine chomped a few mushrooms like they were marshmallows. Emerald crabs are not reef safe in my opinion.

Some yellow tangs and a bit of Phosphate-E took care of my algae issues.

I feed like crazy because my fish have mastered the sad, starving look like you see on those late night "just one dollar a day" commercials, which keeps my nitrates at higher levels than recommended...but I keep my phosphates low. My corals have never looked healthier.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I was beginning to wonder why I never saw a build from you man lol. Nice tank!

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Or you'll want to murder it after it eats a few corals. Mine chomped a few mushrooms like they were marshmallows. Emerald crabs are not reef safe in my opinion.

Some yellow tangs and a bit of Phosphate-E took care of my algae issues.

I feed like crazy because my fish have mastered the sad, starving look like you see on those late night "just one dollar a day" commercials, which keeps my nitrates at higher levels than recommended...but I keep my phosphates low. My corals have never looked healthier.
Lololol i never owned an emerald crab in my life thankgod but have seen tons of horror storys, its impossible for me to add another fish/shrimp/crab to my tank as my tangs go bazerk, then i have to wip out a mirror witch then makes everyfish in my tank check themselves out for 2 days straight without eating. Prob the worst thing i couldve done was have a naso and a PT + i never in my life seen such an aggressive naso tang, didnt think that was even possible till now but all my fish get along perfectly fine- even the wrasses. The dumbest thing i possibly done was added a frag with bubble algae on it, but its not that big of a deal as all my tanks doing great right now. Bound to get algae one way or another

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back