OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I ****** up. Sorry for the cursing but it was neccessary.

Let me start off how much i stress over the topic of people not qting there fish. It has the be the easiest thing to do, to NEVER have to put up with these nasty parasites. 14 to 30 days in a seperate tank, with some meds to assure your tank is clean. I never understood the reason why people just simply don't do it. Spend 10s of thousands of dollars, just to kill all there fish from a splurge buy at a local shop. I qted inverts, corals, literally everything for 2 years just because I was so afraid of getting a disease,a pest, and having to deal with the stress of losing a fellow pet.

After my pintail died a few months back, looked to be a bad trauma to his gut. I had the Hope's of buying a new one. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, we had 3 pintails at the shop for already 3 months, fully qted. Copper prazi general cure you name it. Decided I would take him home because there wasn't any fish added to the system for a month. This was a Saturday, I work late. Because I was so afraid of my purple beating the pintail, I waiting untill Monday when I was home just so I can watch the fish and take action if needed.

That Sunday night we added over 20 pintails to the system, I truly didn't think one day after adding them, the lone 3 pintails would get sick. Monday morning I took the pintail home, looked great for a day or so untill i notice some white l
Patches on his tail, sitting in front of the gyre swimming against the flow. That is a tall tale sign of brook. This was 2 mondays ago.

My 5 year old Clownfish died right away
20191006_181811.jpg

Now it's on the naso and is growing. I CANNOT GET HIM OUT, I've tried everything. Throw Netting, containers, sticks, removing stuff. He won't let me do it. This has to be the most unfortunate thing to ever happen to me. For 3 years I've delt with just 5 fish in my tank, because I didn't want to deal with anything that had to do with fish disease. ALL IT TOOK WAS A FRESHWATER DIP, the first time not qting at home, this is what happened.

I just figured I would share, maybe get some of the stress out. My fish are my pets, some of them for 6 years,they were still clear when I bought em. If you guys could help, I need ideas on how to get these 2 tangs out. My tank is packed out I can't even stick my hand down to the sand. I'm not even sure if it is brook, just from characteristics and pintails that always come in with brook is why I assumed so.

Treatment is formalin dip for 30 minutes or a freshwater dip. Believe this ****. I for one, may deserve bad luck in return for some wrong things I've done, but I do not deserve this. I care for my fish no different then any other living animal. I give 100 percent to any life under my wing

20191008_134759.jpg

Last edited:

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks man, I cant imiagine tryinig to catch anything in your tank with it being wall to wall... Are you working with Kenny? Maybe you have all these years I was oblivious to it but the way you say "we" caught me by surprise and i know he had a load of pintails. Anyway, good luck, hope you can catch him off guard and get it into treatment. Maybe @HotRocks can diagnose for sure.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sucks man, I cant imiagine tryinjg to catch anything in your tank with it being wall to wall... Are you working with Kenny? Maybe you have all these years I was oblivious to it but the way you say "we" caught me by surprise and i know he had a load of pintails. Anyway, good luck, hope you can catch him off guard and get it into treatment. Maybe @HotRocks can diagnose for sure.
Yes but what's pretty incredible is his fish are all treated, tested and @ priority to eat every single day. I don't think I would ever get my fish anywhere else but from Kenny. It literally took 1 day of adding wild fish, to bring w.e the disease is into my tank. The treatment is a dip

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you are going through this. I am very attached to my fish, also, and consider their care to be a top priority.

While working to try and catch my 6-line I used to train my fish to eat with the net in the tank. I started by putting the net in on one side while adding food to the other. It took a few days but eventually I could get some of them, including all of the tangs, to eat the food right out of the net.
Not sure if you have that much time but it might be worth a try.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The fish was there so long man, the only reason I took him was because it was just a blah pintail, color wasn't special, and because it was there for such a long time. So I kinda felt bad and pulled the trigger

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sorry you are going through this. I am very attached to my fish, also, and consider their care to be a top priority.

While working to try and catch my 6-line I used to train my fish to eat with the net in the tank. I started by putting the net in on one side while adding food to the other. It took a few days but eventually I could get some of them, including all of the tangs, to eat the food right out of the net.
Not sure if you have that much time but it might be worth a try.
See so this is the issue, the come up to eat flake. But that white patch was a sesame seed sized dot 2 days ago. Once it reaches the gills he's a goner. Been trying for 2 days straight to catch him

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See so this is the issue, the come up to eat flake. But that white patch was a sesame seed sized dot 2 days ago. Once it reaches the gills he's a goner. Been trying for 2 days straight to catch him
I'd see if you can get them to come up to eat with the net as far from them as possible. Gradually work it toward them each feeding.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What's even worse is he's not even scared, if I try pushing him into places I need him to be, he don't budge. I have to get him at nighttime with a net. Such an unfortunate thing to happen to me. I just setup a frag tank and have to plumb it. Just been dealing with this the last 2 weeks is driving me crazy

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here this. My tank is running fallow right now as well due to the same thing from the same vendor. Not bashing as I have ordered more from them since the incident. I blame myself for not QT'ing the fish. Lesson learned.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but what's pretty incredible is his fish are all treated, tested and @ priority to eat every single day. I don't think I would ever get my fish anywhere else but from Kenny. It literally took 1 day of adding wild fish, to bring w.e the disease is into my tank. The treatment is a dip
Oh No Doubt, That wasn't meant as knock at all. I was genuinely surprised not knowing you worked with him is all. Im a little jealous!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I am so sorry to hear about this!

Do you have a trap? Tangs are usually dumb enough to swim right in if you bait it with nori.

Brews method is similar to using a trap. More like a very temporary trap!

If you think you introduced brook technically all of your fish need treated.

I can’t be 100% certain from the pics but the Naso definitely seems to have brook going on.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh No Doubt, That wasn't meant as knock at all. I was genuinely surprised not knowing you worked with him is all. Im a little jealous!
Haha I know! Yea it's amazing man, what's very interesting is the hobby @ large scale like that. It's incredible how much work goes into this hobby behind closed doors. I have utmost respect for everyone that owns a shop for the hobby

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sucks man I know how you feel I don't add any fish for the same reason. Keep your head up and you'll be good on the other side!
I literally had 5 fish in my tank for 2-3 years just because of the bs. I had to bring the fish home prone to disease just because I was afraid my purple would kill him.

Back