Sacrificial coral to combat nipping fish?

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experimented with growing/adding sacrificial coral to combat a fish that has taken a liking to desirable corals in the tank?
I've got a Moorish Idol that I've had for 3.5 years in a FOWRL tank. Had to shut that tank down so the idol was moved to my very large SPS dominant system with tangs, angels etc about 2 months ago. The idol has taken to biting chunks off many SPS, but hasn't killed any corals (yet) because there are plenty of colonies so the damage is being spread around. The tank gets nori 3-4 times per day, frozen twice a day and NLS pellets once a day. The fish is fat and healthy. I would really prefer to keep the this fish if at all possible so I'm toying with the idea of growing and adding something like xenia on a regular basis as a sacrificial lamb so to speak with the hopes that a soft coral known to be readily consumed by large angels and idols might focus the attention of a nipping fish enough to reduce/eliminate damage on the desirable corals.
Anyone tried this or something similar before? If so, how did it work?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Problem is, if they like it. They bite it. So even if you have their favorite. They are still going to munch on others they enjoy as well. But, they may not nip as much.
I always wondered if there is something in those corals they need in their diet.

OP
OP
Reeffraff

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is, if they like it. They bite it. So even if you have their favorite. They are still going to munch on others they enjoy as well. But, they may not nip as much.
I always wondered if there is something in those corals they need in their diet.

Yes, I agree it's unlikely that nipping of desirable corals would never stop completely. That's ok in my case as I have other fish that occasionally nip. I'll try adding some xenia and see if there's any change in behavior.

With all the threads on fish nipping at corals, I'm kind of surprised not to find anything on anyone trying a sacrificial species of coral like xenia that grows fast and can be grown easily in a sump/fuge or separate tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I agree it's unlikely that nipping of desirable corals would never stop completely. That's ok in my case as I have other fish that occasionally nip. I'll try adding some xenia and see if there's any change in behavior.

With all the threads on fish nipping at corals, I'm kind of surprised not to find anything on anyone trying a sacrificial species of coral like xenia that grows fast and can be grown easily in a sump/fuge or separate tank.
you should try it. And make a thread on progress. It might lead to something we can all benefit from

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should try it. And make a thread on progress. It might lead to something we can all benefit from
Agreed, I would give it a go, and pay close attention. My pygmy angels I don't see nipping, like I originally did at main stalks but know they do at Kenya Tree anyway. I see new growth stalks one day in random areas, they are gone literally the next....they don't seem to have same appetite for Xenia in my particular case...

OP
OP
Reeffraff

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll cut some xenia from another tank tomorrow and give them a week to attach to some rock rubble. I plan to put some xenia in 3 different locations and monitor both behavior at the xenia rocks and also around the other corals.
Unlike pygmy angels, Idols are not stealthy nippers (mine chomps coral with impunity right in front of me) so it should be easy to observe any behavioral changes. Will report back when I have some data.
In the meantime, if anyone else has tried this or something similar it would be great to hear how it turned out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back