Sad Clownfish Disaster

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost both my orange Ocellaris yesterday. It was heartbreaking. I had a professional come out and look at my tank (they were on the brink of death) and the only thing we could figure out is that I had put in a new piece of rock with plastic epoxy 2 days before. The rock was from stock I already had so I know it was fine. Somehow the epoxy became toxic and killed 2 Clowns, 1 Yellow Assessor and 1 Royal Gramma (assuming I lost the last 2 anyway. Haven't seem them for 3 days). The Royal Dottyback somehow survived as did 4 other fish I had added the day before. The epoxy was "reef safe". We did a huge emergency water change even though all tests were perfect. What went wrong???

So, I need 2 new clowns. Was thinking about a Picasso and a black/white Ocellaris. Anyone had that combo before? Any problems?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, if I'm reading this correctly...you added 4 new fish a day or 2 before these became sick and died? Good chance it may have been a disease transmitted into the tank.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss. What type of expose did you use so we can learn from this. Both clowns you mention are ocellaris and will be fine together.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss. What type of expose did you use so we can learn from this. Both clowns you mention are ocellaris and will be fine together.

It was Reef Welder plastic epoxy and Ecotech Coral Glue. I researched the heck out of the Reef Welder. My lfs (in business same family 50 years) told me you cannot combine the plastic epoxy with a super glue. It's a toxic combo. I Never read that anywhere when researching Reef Welder. Just thought I'd treat it like any epoxy with super glue. A very sad way to learn a lesson.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's pic of the fish. They first started acting shy. Very abnormal for them. Then they started becoming "blanched" looking and gasping. Finally had a hard time keeping their balance and staying upright. Apparently a typical reaction to a toxin.

I yanked out the piece of rock and epoxy the next morning when I realized they were acting strangely. Plus did a 30% water change and changed all filter media. It was the only thing I could think of. But by the next afternoon they were dead.

We then did a 90% water change plus put in Poly Filter and everyone else now looks fine. The inverts and coral were never affected for some reason.

1 clown.JPG And the reason I didn't take out the Gramma and Assessor from the tank is that I couldn't find them. Still can't.

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about that...if you cant find the other fish expect another small cycle as they rot. Id Wait to add your new clowns for a bit ;)

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that...if you cant find the other fish expect another small cycle as they rot. Id Wait to add your new clowns for a bit ;)

Obviously. But I can't help thinking about new fish :)
I'm totally following the advise of my home tank professional and my lfs on this one since I have zero experience with this type of thing.

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was Reef Welder plastic epoxy and Ecotech Coral Glue. I researched the heck out of the Reef Welder. My lfs (in business same family 50 years) told me you cannot combine the plastic epoxy with a super glue. It's a toxic combo. I Never read that anywhere when researching Reef Welder. Just thought I'd treat it like any epoxy with super glue. A very sad way to learn a lesson.
I did exactly the same thing two days ago. Used reef epoxy and super glue and today lost one of my beloved Davinci Clown fish.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly the same thing two days ago. Used reef epoxy and super glue and today lost one of my beloved Davinci Clown fish.

Really? So, so sorry. They need to tell people about this. We are used to using an epoxy/super glue combo. I wonder what makes hardy clownfish so susceptible to it? My dotty back is fine. Who knows about the other 2. And I think the other fish weren't exposed to it when it was introduced to the tank and that's why they are fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I lost both my orange Ocellaris yesterday. It was heartbreaking. I had a professional come out and look at my tank (they were on the brink of death) and the only thing we could figure out is that I had put in a new piece of rock with plastic epoxy 2 days before. The rock was from stock I already had so I know it was fine. Somehow the epoxy became toxic and killed 2 Clowns, 1 Yellow Assessor and 1 Royal Gramma (assuming I lost the last 2 anyway. Haven't seem them for 3 days). The Royal Dottyback somehow survived as did 4 other fish I had added the day before. The epoxy was "reef safe". We did a huge emergency water change even though all tests were perfect. What went wrong???

So, I need 2 new clowns. Was thinking about a Picasso and a black/white Ocellaris. Anyone had that combo before? Any problems?
Have this combo right now in 93 cube. The fools each hang out in giant toadstools that I have

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back