Sad Day Our Yellow Tang Died

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang died from a Primer they used on the basement floor, for the leveling compound to adhere. I noticed when they first used this, it got stressed. I immediately put a pump outside, feeding air stones. They didn’t tell me the second time they used the Primer. I checked to find out why, when nothing else was stressed. I found that Tangs Gill structures are finer, especially in Yellow Tangs, and the Tangs that have that body shape.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What’s wrong with API? I’m colorblind so I use the API aquaspin. Digital readout of Ca, Mg pH alk NH3 nitrite nitrate and phosphate. pH and phosphate numbers match Hanna tests. Does API overestimate nitrate?
Aquaspin is better than the tube kits which are notorious for false readings.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was full size when we got him two years ago so maybe just old age? .
Unrelated to the problem, but I doubt your tang was ‘full size’. They can reach 7-8”… there was a pic of a large one purchased by someone here on R2R, I believe at a Chicago Reef show, a few years ago.

OP
OP
kdtorgy

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to the problem, but I doubt your tang was ‘full size’. They can reach 7-8”… there was a pic of a large one purchased by someone here on R2R, I believe at a Chicago Reef show, a few years ago.
You’re right. I guess he wasn’t full size but was definitely not a baby when we got him.

OP
OP
kdtorgy

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang died from a Primer they used on the basement floor, for the leveling compound to adhere. I noticed when they first used this, it got stressed. I immediately put a pump outside, feeding air stones. They didn’t tell me the second time they used the Primer. I checked to find out why, when nothing else was stressed. I found that Tangs Gill structures are finer, especially in Yellow Tangs, and the Tangs that have that body shape.
That’s sad. We haven’t had anything done in the house. I still think it was depleted oxygen and/or bacteria bloom due to NoPox. The blue tang has been hiding and breathing heavy all day. But an air stone in about 5 hours ago and did an 20% water change. Blue tang seems better now. Came out to eat and breathing easier.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs have very long lifespans and when fish get really old.. they can show signs just like us... a bit raggity, may not eat as well, slow down, etc.

Being that tangs have higher oxygen requirements. I think it is possible since you are seeing some cloudiness.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back