Sad week this week

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread the initial post and must have missed the coral part. To be honest, I think that the sudden water changes you did after noticing fish deaths put all the parameters out of whack. It's possible that swings in alk, salinity, or even nitrates would put everything into shock. However, with this information, it also seems likely that something was messed up in feedings, which cased the ammonia to spike. In a fairly new tank with little bacteria, this can be detrimental. So it's equally likely no parasites were involved at all. There's really no way of knowing if you weren't there to witness the problems.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why everyone is trying to be Dick Tracy here and solve this case.

Main variable here is: you went away, and left the care of your tank in the wrong hands - you have no clue how it was fed, if it was fed, if someone cleaned the glass with bleach and spilled it into your tank.. list continues. No one in your family will admit to any wrong doing..prolly wouldnt even if they were caught on camera.

Future tips... buy whatever you need for your tank to maintain itself for a min of 7 days. ATO, Auto Feeder are the two primaries. Then tell your family that at no point are they to touch the tank without your supervision.
I have to agree with you good sir. I think the only reason I bring up disease is because if it was, and I think it was, she'll keep losing things and never know. At some point she'll either quit or QT. I'm trying to save her heartache, like I've done for so many people. Like sharkbait HOOHAAHAA lol. I'm rough, but least I care.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread the initial post and must have missed the coral part. To be honest, I think that the sudden water changes you did after noticing fish deaths put all the parameters out of whack. It's possible that swings in alk, salinity, or even nitrates would put everything into shock. However, with this information, it also seems likely that something was messed up in feedings, which cased the ammonia to spike. In a fairly new tank with little bacteria, this can be detrimental. So it's equally likely no parasites were involved at all. There's really no way of knowing if you weren't there to witness the problems.
Sharkbait HOOHAAAHAAA! I'm under the hopes that after a few months of being under the load of 8 fish, it would be ready to handle a bit heavier feeding. But you are 100% correct, if the biofilter wasn't ready for god knows how much ammonia from food or fish death this would happen. I can tell you though...it probably is now. The frustrating part is, still no way to know what started the chain. But my money is on disease. So many fish come in sick these days..

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mystery may remain a mystery. You've gotten some good feedback and learned a few lessons. I won't play armchair diagnostician ... I'll just tell you that it gets better. We've all had set backs - some HUGE ones along the way. Learn from it and don't be discouraged. It gets better. Hang in there.
hang in there cat GIF by MochiDad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back