Sad week this week

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being new to saltwater fish keeping i have done a ton of research. Things were going amazingly well. I had a goby, 2 clowns, a mccosker wrasse, 3 pajama cardinals, and a coral beauty and several varieties of coral. Well 2 weeks ago I started a new job and missed a water change due to being away for training. Family was home but didn't do one they only fed them. My first day back I found my wrasse dead. So I pulled him and did some testing nitrates were quite high so I immediately did a water change of 25% and another 25% the next day. Sadly the next day my pajamas and coral were gone and now today my clowns are gone. All I have left is my goby and a cleaner shrimp and some snails. Any ideas where to go from here to recover this tank and start again? Should I drain the water and do a new start of cycling and all?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being new to saltwater fish keeping i have done a ton of research. Things were going amazingly well. I had a goby, 2 clowns, a mccosker wrasse, 3 pajama cardinals, and a coral beauty and several varieties of coral. Well 2 weeks ago I started a new job and missed a water change due to being away for training. Family was home but didn't do one they only fed them. My first day back I found my wrasse dead. So I pulled him and did some testing nitrates were quite high so I immediately did a water change of 25% and another 25% the next day. Sadly the next day my pajamas and coral were gone and now today my clowns are gone. All I have left is my goby and a cleaner shrimp and some snails. Any ideas where to go from here to recover this tank and start again? Should I drain the water and do a new start of cycling and all?
How high were your nitrates? I would look for other causes and if you can, please post water parameters. Do you know how much was being fed; was water cloudy when you got home?

Seems like things were going well before this event, so once your water parameters are stable and within acceptable ranges, you should be okay to "restart"

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you had this happen. The only thing I will add is that when you start adding inhabitants back make sure to do it slowly.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high were your nitrates? I would look for other causes and if you can, please post water parameters. Do you know how much was being fed; was water cloudy when you got home?

Seems like things were going well before this event, so once your water parameters are stable and within acceptable ranges, you should be okay to "restart"
Before the water change it was .4ppm
After its back to nearly 0. Ph is 8.2 salinity is 1.26 phosphate is a little high at 0.25. Ammonia 0, calc is 400, alkalinity 8.0. I do have a hair algea issue I'm fighting but it's going away nicely. I have nassarius snails doing great, and turbo snails doing well. All my coral is thriving. Its an 80 gallon oceanic with 60lbs of sand and 70lbs of rock.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into disease as a culprit unless they were severely overfed. The wrasse was likely sick and then ammonia took over from there (or disease spread). The fact that the snails are alive leads me to believe it was a disease. Were any symptoms showing?
No signs but the coral beauty hid a lot but we hadn't had him long maybe 2-3 weeks

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't say "Perfect" when talking about parameters. It doesn't really mean anything apart from you chasing numbers. As long as it's in a decent range and stable thats all we care about.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't say "Perfect" when talking about parameters. It doesn't really mean anything apart from you chasing numbers. As long as it's in a decent range and stable thats all we care about.
By perfect I mean well within normal range. Sorry.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs but the coral beauty hid a lot but we hadn't had him long maybe 2-3 weeks
Hiding is a sign of disease. Coral beauties arent the type of fish to hide imo.
Also 2 -3 weeks is about the length of time I start expecting disease to manifest unless it's velvet.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH also, to check if it's flukes, just do a fresh water dip. You can do it either on a dead fish if you see it fast enough or one of the alive ones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back