Safe and cheap water storage

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m searching for a cheap large container for mixing and storing water.
I have been considering a 45 gal trash can ( new ) . Is there a cheap alternative ? I’m worried about the trash can , if it has algesides in the plastic or something else funny.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people use the large brute trash cans for mixing salt, but when it comes to storage, I recommend plastics that are actually made and advertised as long term water storage tanks. Unfortunately, I have not come across something like this that is cheap and large.

I do not know all the chemistry off the top of my head, but I believe that you are probably risking the plastic leaching something if it is not a 'food safe' plastic made for water storage.

That is all in theory... in practice, would it actually hurt your tank? Hard to say.

Used is always a good option, but then you obviously have the risk of not knowing how it was previously used.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used is always a good option, but then you obviously have the risk of not knowing how it was previously used.

A lot of times it's real easy to tell what was in them previously. Mine had tomato juice / sauce. They smelled for a long time. The previous owners are unlikely to really wash them out for you to the point where you can't tell what was in them. While I'm not saying it's impossible for the previous owners to lie, if they were used for some kind of human food it's unlikely that they put something toxic in them then posted them for sale.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times it's real easy to tell what was in them previously. Mine had tomato juice / sauce. They smelled for a long time. The previous owners are unlikely to really wash them out for you to the point where you can't tell what was in them. While I'm not saying it's impossible for the previous owners to lie, if they were used for some kind of human food it's unlikely that they put something toxic in them then posted them for sale.
Very true! Have your fish acquired a taste for tomatoes lololol ;Shamefullyembarrased ;Shamefullyembarrased

I want to live in Canada where I can trust other people haha.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the large brutes on wheels for a long time without issue. I know a lot of others do as well. Not sure it is the best option, or the cheapest, but the wheels are SO convenient for my purposes.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Carlisle cans, basically a cheap mans brutes. I actually prefer them over the brutes because they are easier to clean. They also fit on the dollys. As far as I'm concerned they are reef safe. No issues thus far.

Do they come with a tight fitting lid? Wish I'd known about these much sooner.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the large brutes on wheels for a long time without issue. I know a lot of others do as well. Not sure it is the best option, or the cheapest, but the wheels are SO convenient for my purposes.
I use the Carlisle cans, basically a cheap mans brutes. I actually prefer them over the brutes because they are easier to clean. They also fit on the dollys. As far as I'm concerned they are reef safe. No issues thus far.

That is great to know... I am always curious about theory vs. practice when it comes to reefing or anything in life.

Plenty of things 'shouldn't work' on paper, but work great in the real world!

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Brutes as well. Did not know of any other option. I place it on a furniture dolly to wheel it back and forth from the tank and back to the drain to dispose during water changes.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coke or Pepsi plants but brutes work very well. Brute have food safe containers ecolab has some.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 44 gallon Carlisle cans. It’s what the warehouse at my job stocks and I was able to buy them. Bought my lids separate and they fit much tighter than my Brute (also bought from work but before they switched to Carlisle cans) with lid on a dolly. I work for a beef slaughter facility.

135063F0-995B-443D-B7B9-B55A08E05028.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back