Safe Interceptor Dose | Coral Boring Spionid Worms.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may be time.

20231104_151154.jpg

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't suggesting that they died, I wanted to see if they'd react. It would've been great to record it to see what took place and when they retracted.

Although, I never paid attention to their habits, if they retract during lights out or not. The next few days should offer some insight as to how much they were effected by the dose.

I recorded it with Ivermectin. See below:

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following that thread as well. I saw that, and wish ivermectin was a in tank solution.

It maybe could be. It’s cheap, easily accessible, gentle on acros, and requires very small dose. 4-6 drops to 473mL killed everything in 45-1 hr.

Be nice if a few people had some established QT’s they didn’t care about to test it on.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good to report. All the little tentacles are back out.

And same for my buddy that did 4 23mg pills per 100g. He's a little upset to have wasted all that interceptor.

i think an in tank treatmentof ivermectin needs to be explored next.

Attachments

• 20231108_120159.jpg
    20231108_120159.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231108_120823.jpg
    20231108_120823.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 32

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And same for my buddy that did 4 23mg pills per 100g. He's a little upset to have wasted all that interceptor.

i think an in tank treatmentof ivermectin needs to be explored next.
How long did you guys leave the interceptor in the system? I don’t really ever remove it bc it will degrade naturally over a couple days.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you guys leave the interceptor in the system? I don’t really ever remove it bc it will degrade naturally over a couple days.
We let it ride. Skimmer cup removed, and carbon and uv -- offline.

I've never actively tried to remove any of it after treatment.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

I wish I knew what happened in my tank that removed them if it wasn’t the interceptor.
Well, as far as i know my buddy is going to do a 2nd treatment of 4 23ml pills per 100g. For him it's 27 pills per treatment.

And I'm going to round off my final treatment with 4 pills per 100g. But I went from 1 pill per, to 2 pills per and finally 4 pills per. Not that I have high hopes for a positive outcome, but I'm in the throes of it, might as well.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you’re right…an in-tank treatment of ivermectin needs to be explored next. We know that works.

Unbelievable. Gezz. I thought for sure it was gonna get them. Maybe the Praziquantel is the ticket. The Ivermectin-Plus killed them.

I’ll need to explore the praziquantel alone.

I agree that Ivermectin needs to be explored.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as far as i know my buddy is going to do a 2nd treatment of 4 23ml pills per 100g. For him it's 27 pills per treatment.

And I'm going to round off my final treatment with 4 pills per 100g. But I went from 1 pill per, to 2 pills per and finally 4 pills per. Not that I have high hopes for a positive outcome, but I'm in the throes of it, might as well.

Yeah, just do it. No I’ll effects yet right?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, except that I get the text a few times a day, "more antennas are popping back out"

Great. Well, I’m looking forward to seeing both of your results after these next doses. If that doesn’t get them, I guess ivermectin will be the next thing to try and test. Hopefully we can get a few brave souls to test their QT tanks first.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I have looked into ivermectin and need someone to take the plunge. :cool: I did find it for sale at aquabiotics and after reading the directions, it appears that it is an in-tank treatment, which gave me some hope. (https://www.aquabiotics.ca/index.php/product/ivermectin/).

I also found this thread from 2014 where someone outlines the exact dosage they performed. I can say that reading the results, it looked like it was great for corals, but not so much any inverts and potentially fish. Maybe things have evolved since then (or you can do it at a lower dose) (https://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/to...-full-in-tank-treatment-for-red-bug-and-aefw/).

Per usual, reading about the treatment on the internet is a mixed bag, with some people saying low doses are not harmful to fish if done properly and others vehemently warning against it.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was great documentation from @khiann on SPS and Advanced Reef Keeper Forum:

I have been fighting with Red Bugs and AEFW for 8 months. Tried out of tank dipping with iodine, coral dip and garlic(pills and fresh squash). With these treatment, both bugs came off and sps recover for 1 - 2 weeks, however, they come back with even stronger number of army. Losses many precious species of SPS due do this. I found that I have 2 type of red-bug(one red, one slightly larger but grey in color) and AEFW. The one does the most damage is red bugs. SPS will have the polyps retract, discolored and bite marks shown very quickly.

One thing to take note for the community, if you are buying wild/cultured sps from the local LFS, I can almost assure you will get either one of it if you never do any quarantine/dip. You will think that the sps didn't manage to survive in your tank condition but, to me, 90% of my sps death is due to this. It will start with polyp retracted, might NOT get discolor or turn brown. The base of the SPS will start minor flesh retract. If you never notice close enough, you will have small white spots of bite mark when infestion is long enough.

I decided enough is enough, decided to try Ivermectin 1% with the tank since some of the document on internet show it is effective on "both" the bugs. I was having difficulty getting the med from local vet, until I get it from somewhere(pm me if you need). It is a water soluble based of ivermectin for horse injection. 1%. WARNING, this is a very strong chemical to both human and animals. It will KILL all brittle star, snails, prawn, even small fish and small clams. Good thing is, some of the unwanted pest worm also get killed in the action. I did the full tank treatment with xtreme care. I will not be responsible for naything happen to your tank.

Treatment for my 4x2x1.5 tank with 4x1.5x1.5 sump. with 22 species of sensitive and hardy sps. with 3 soft coral and a few zoas, one bubble anemone

6pm, I prepare fresh replacement salt water enough for 70% water change. Exact salinity, ca and KH, same temperature.

8pm, I dose 15ML of the ivermectin by mixing with the tank water in a container, then pour into the sump. Turn off both of my skimmer and tank out all carbon.

802pm, all my sps polyp retracted, including monti and BN. Clams shuts. Massive bubbles forms in the sumps area.

805pm. all snail, acro crab and some unknown bugs running for life, sps start to slimes

815pm. good amount of red bug and AEFW clinging on slimes string created on sps

830pm. all small snail and crab is no longer moving, all the pest worms and brittle stars floating around in the water. Try to remove as much as I can with fine hole net. My heart almost stop seeing the condition of the tank. No white cloud created in the water though.

9pm. similar, except the sps polyp came back and clams open slightly. Massive amount of pest dead. Small fish including little nemo stunt, laying but breathing on tank bottom.

10pm, turned on all skimmers and carbon. Skimmers immediately overflow like crazy, I drain the skimmers overflow directly into the toilet. Close monitor every 15 minutes and replace the water lost with fresh water.

11pm, SPS came back like magic with better than before polyp extension. soft and hard coral is not affected at all. anemone too.

2am, almost 1/4 of water over flown and replaced.

4am, skimmer come back to normal, went to sleep

8am, replace new carbon, clean skimmer neck, replace the remaining 20% of water. coral status quo

2nd day passed, slightly higher NO3 noticed, 10ppm higher, came down in a few days. SPS does not seems to be affected, Zero coral casualty. All crabs and worms are gone, together with the pest. notice zero of it on the coral

3rd day, clams and fish all recovered

8th day, 10ML dose with similar procedure. This time no more massive death occur, prob all dead in the first dose.

16th day, 8ML dose

One month passed, I have zero pest in the tank, including AEFW! The sps rebound with extremely fast growth and polyp extension, much better color too. Will take picture too.. just a sharing for the folks, becareful with the treatment though. I think the water change make a different and didn't lead the treatment to tank crash.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling that dosing Ivermectin in-tank will be as described above. Massive die off, but if that could be mitigated it would wreck AEFW’s, Spionid’s, many types of bugs, and maybe even all your Vermentid snails. It should get all the Limpet snails as well. Limpet’s are harmless but annoying. They stick to the bottom of my frag plugs making it difficult to slide frags around that are on tiles or disks.

I don’t think Ivermectin is harmful to SPS. It’s the nutrient/ alk swing that would need to be controlled. That guy dosed 15mL to about 90 gallons. I wonder what would happen if somebody started with 5mL, but removed as much worms, snails, etc prior to dosing. Had carbon and water change water ready, nets/siphon ready to remove floating worms, snails, etc. Had Dr. Tim’s “One and Only”, MB7, Turbo Start, etc…to help with the death.

Maybe even start at low as 1mL per 100/G first. It’s very tempting to say the least. Pods, worms, etc…could be added back to the system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back