OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is most likely absorbing the available nitrate and phosphate before it can be read, but you would still need a more accurate test to determine that.

not dumb at all. You are almost always safe with invertebrates, especially if the store you go to keeps them in a separate tank from their fish. Choose snails with cleaner shells so you dont get any other nuisance algae and you should be good. Another option is something like algaebarn to get absolutely clean snails but isnt necessary to do as long as you inspect the shells when you buy.
Any shrimp or urchin cant carry any fish diseases or parasites, the reason I talked about the shells is because stuff like ich can attach to surfaces in the tomont stage and then infect fish later, but this is a low chance of that happening. Inverts in general dont contract fish diseases or parasites
Oh perfect Thank you that works out
I prefer to get any inverts shipped only becuase I have had bad experiences buying inverts from LFS’s
would you recommend live aquaria for inverts? I have only bought fish from them
any suggestions? Thank you for your help again sorry with the constant questions ;)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners is good for cleanup crew and algaebarn, but there are others out there, I dont buy from liveaquaria anymore as I havent seen great reviews from them regarding livestock

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I would collect it myself. . . then run it through a filter sock maybe. . . then call it good?
I live in florida on the coast. I have only ever used NSW, filtered with a 5 micron sock after collecting right off the beach.
25 years doing this, 2/3 of the LfS do the same.

There is one time of the year when we have large numbers of seabirds near shore and have Coloforms increase so I wouldn’t do it then.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely has organisms and food sources you wont get out of artificial.

@Paul B used it in his set up for a number of years though not so much now but not because it is bad.

As you said, their display tanks are amazing.. would they be if it was bad? They are in a business to sell corals and keep them beautiful and draw in customers.

You can run some tests on it before it enters your tank for curiosity's sake. It is possible nutrients are high but you can also have high nutrients and not have massive algae issues.

Do you have a clean up crew? How many? I don't think I see one snail in that photo.
I would think NSW would be perfect. Only question is location of source. Will you be getting it from an area with shipping lanes. Is it close to an area of heavy runoff from rain into a stream or river then into the location

Repfarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh perfect Thank you that works out
I prefer to get any inverts shipped only becuase I have had bad experiences buying inverts from LFS’s
would you recommend live aquaria for inverts? I have only bought fish from them
any suggestions? Thank you for your help again sorry with the constant questions ;)
Reef Cleaners and Gulf Coast Ecosystems are two I have had good experiences with.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back