Safe way for 100% water change

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved where I’m 45 min away from my favorite lfs. I was buying water from them where they used tropic Marin pro salt. When I moved, driving that far was a hassle. I had a bucket of reef crystals and was buying distilled water and mixing myself out of laziness. I did a total of 20 gallons of that (5 gallons every 2 weeks) and I’m having problems with gha and I believe that’s the issue. Btw, I have 32 gallon biocube. I called the closest lfs and asked what salt they used and they said instant ocean. So I was wondering the safest way to do 100% water change and changing salts. I also worry about alk levels being different. I use soda bicarbonate mixture for regulating in my tank. Would I match the alk in new water if it’s off? Or would the slow water changes help that? Thank you!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to do 100% change? How bout get a Rodi that attaches to kitchen sink and mix your own.

Upvote 0

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is entirely possible the water from the LFS is part of the problem. Have you tested any of it to see what is coming in?
You'd be far better off if you could make it yourself. It's easier on your back, your wallet, and likely your tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to do 100% change? How bout get a Rodi that attaches to kitchen sink and mix your own.
I have well water or I would. I can’t afford a nice rodi unit right now. I have a ro buddy that’s not givin 0 tds. I think you missed my question. I’m trying to take out the distilled water I was using. I’m not doing it to change salts, but since it is different than the salt I was using I know they are all different and want any advice to avoid mistakes other people have ran into.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is entirely possible the water from the LFS is part of the problem. Have you tested any of it to see what is coming in?
You'd be far better off if you could make it yourself. It's easier on your back, your wallet, and likely your tank
The distilled water I was using I believe is the issue. The water I was buying from lfs gave me no issues til I started using distilled water and mixing my own. I’m on well water and the ro buddy I have that I’ve replaced cartridge for isn’t giving 0tds and for a 32 gallon tank buying it was easier.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have?

When we buy coral it changes tank and therefor salt and parameters a bit.

When we do 100% water changes on pico's, parameters change since corals use up elements and we bring them back in with a 100% change. Then again these are healthy systems and if your corals are unwell, a change could certainly tip the scale.

What distilled water are you using? I used it for years. It can't have anything added back for taste.

I am not convinced distilled is the problem (unless you are making it yourself or something) or buying something with minerals added.

We use distilled for medical equiptment due to it's purity. It shouldn't have much of anything in it. It may be a different rabbit hole you need to go down but generally water changes are helpful when things are unwell.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have well water or I would. I can’t afford a nice rodi unit right now. I have a ro buddy that’s not givin 0 tds. I think you missed my question. I’m trying to take out the distilled water I was using. I’m not doing it to change salts, but since it is different than the salt I was using I know they are all different and want any advice to avoid mistakes other people have ran into.
IO is very high in alk, you want to just use it for water changes, that will slowly allow the fish and corals to get used to it, I would only do 10% maybe 2 times a week, or even less if that suits you better, within 10 water changes your tank will be Changed over to the new salt.

Even if using the actual same salt, doing a 100% water change is not a good idea and definitely not if changing to a different salt with different parameters.

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t nothing to it but draining it and putting new back in lol.. just did it with my new tank.. drained it and moved it and put all new 350 gallons of new saltwater in and not a single fatality..

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t nothing to it but draining it and putting new back in lol.. just did it with my new tank.. drained it and moved it and put all new 350 gallons of new saltwater in and not a single fatality..
I guess if the measure is as long as nothing dies, then it’s a job well done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have?

When we buy coral it changes tank and therefor salt and parameters a bit.

When we do 100% water changes on pico's, parameters change since corals use up elements and we bring them back in with a 100% change. Then again these are healthy systems and if your corals are unwell, a change could certainly tip the scale.

What distilled water are you using? I used it for years. It can't have anything added back for taste.

I am not convinced distilled is the problem (unless you are making it yourself or something) or buying something with minerals added.

We use distilled for medical equiptment due to its purity. It shouldn't have much of anything in it. It may be a different rabbit hole you need to go down but generally water changes are helpful when things are unwell.
I have gonis, lobo, bubble coral, torch, toadstool, Kenya, zoas, Duncan, gsp, mushrooms, 3 btas and 2 rock flowers. This is the water I was using. If i can just continue using distilled and mix reef crystals, I will. It’s much easier. Corals are all happy, it’s the gha that is the problem. Attached pictures of that as well

Attachments

• 20FAF27D-1102-49CB-9851-7C111E3AF9F2.png
    20FAF27D-1102-49CB-9851-7C111E3AF9F2.png
    402.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 26B25E69-5238-444C-B17E-CEA9B80C9526.jpeg
    26B25E69-5238-444C-B17E-CEA9B80C9526.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 3648B2BD-1503-41C9-9214-0144DF356C5A.jpeg
    3648B2BD-1503-41C9-9214-0144DF356C5A.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 118A89AB-3489-43BB-8FFD-72F0DC380E77.jpeg
    118A89AB-3489-43BB-8FFD-72F0DC380E77.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 21
  • C91359EC-4F0F-45F8-8F3E-5AE94BD28CB3.jpeg
    C91359EC-4F0F-45F8-8F3E-5AE94BD28CB3.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved where I’m 45 min away from my favorite lfs. I was buying water from them where they used tropic Marin pro salt. When I moved, driving that far was a hassle. I had a bucket of reef crystals and was buying distilled water and mixing myself out of laziness. I did a total of 20 gallons of that (5 gallons every 2 weeks) and I’m having problems with gha and I believe that’s the issue. Btw, I have 32 gallon biocube. I called the closest lfs and asked what salt they used and they said instant ocean. So I was wondering the safest way to do 100% water change and changing salts. I also worry about alk levels being different. I use soda bicarbonate mixture for regulating in my tank. Would I match the alk in new water if it’s off? Or would the slow water changes help that? Thank you!
Just my observation when I set up my Nano tank.. I used the regular instant ocean and transitioned over to reef crystals by instant ocean, I had nothing but a headache trying to balance out my parameters. I don't know what it is about the same company but different labeled salt mixes but there was Major instability going on and I wasn't able to correct it until I basically drained half the aquarium one day and the following day I drained another 50% and now my parameters are right on par. I did try doing an amazing amount of smaller water changes but that didn't do anything besides create issues. I struggled with it for a while and I was chasing numbers like a dog chasing a bone but it wasn't until I did huge water changes within two days that everything came back stable.

Back in the day, like 20 years ago we didn't know and I personally didn't care what salt I used, but one thing I do know is I had amazing success using plain old instant ocean. Never seemed to have a problem but then again I never had the testing equipment like what we have now. I'm just putting in my two cents and that's all.

You said you use distilled water?

That's what I did when I set up my tank and somebody slapped me on the hand basically and told me never ever used straight distilled water! And that really confused me. I thought you want the purest water possible but I was told that you need some type of minerals or whatever in your water so I ditched using distilled and just purchasing RO water from a local store here in town. Maybe somebody can correct me on the information that I was given about using distilled water but like I said being out of the hobby for so many years and doing a little bit of looking around I was led to the conclusion that you want the purest water possible and that would be distilled!? So who knows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my observation when I set up my Nano tank.. I used the regular instant ocean and transitioned over to reef crystals by instant ocean, I had nothing but a headache trying to balance out my parameters. I don't know what it is about the same company but different labeled salt mixes but there was Major instability going on and I wasn't able to correct it until I basically drained half the aquarium one day and the following day I drained another 50% and now my parameters are right on par. I did try doing an amazing amount of smaller water changes but that didn't do anything besides create issues. I struggled with it for a while and I was chasing numbers like a dog chasing a bone but it wasn't until I did huge water changes within two days that everything came back stable.

Back in the day, like 20 years ago we didn't know and I personally didn't care what salt I used, but one thing I do know is I had amazing success using plain old instant ocean. Never seemed to have a problem but then again I never had the testing equipment like what we have now. I'm just putting in my two cents and that's all.

You said you use distilled water?

That's what I did when I set up my tank and somebody slapped me on the hand basically and told me never ever used straight distilled water! And that really confused me. I thought you want the purest water possible but I was told that you need some type of minerals or whatever in your water so I ditched using distilled and just purchasing RO water from a local store here in town. Maybe somebody can correct me on the information that I was given about using distilled water but like I said being out of the hobby for so many years and doing a little bit of looking around I was led to the conclusion that you want the purest water possible and that would be distilled!? So who knows.
I was told by the lfs that using distilled is a problem too! That it could bring in stuff I don’t want in my tank as well. I also wasn’t sure if my lfs was just saying that to get me to buy there water as well. Not saying it’s a bad one, just want other opinions as well. I think I will just buy the water from new lfs that’s closer to me that uses instant ocean. As well as check tds on their ro water. It’s a new one I haven’t bought from so we’ll see how it goes. I also know that people too off with distilled all the time which is why I mixed my water with it thinking it was the same thing basically.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy plain r.o water from that lfs and mix with whatever salt you want to use?

I'm against using any lfs water but if that's how you want/have to do it, I would atleast regulate my salt mixture with their plain r.o water.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Change Up to 50% but 100 is extreme, removes some bacteria and is like starting over. I would not used distilled which is low in Ph and often still has traces of zinc and metals. Use RODI or even water bottle refill water from the grocery store. From LFS- Test that water occasionally for phosphates and nitrates- some do show as high.
Alk is in the salt and you should not need to raise alk more which is what bicarbonate will do especially for a tank of this size and leave precipitation.
10 gallons should be sufficient.
GHA-
In addition to the source of water being used, is this tank at or near a window?
Have you used any tap water from the faucet ?
How are you testing water/kit ?

In Lieu of a 100% water change, its best to do 10 gallon water changes daily - But why do you want to do major water change ? I can see if High ammonia

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gonis, lobo, bubble coral, torch, toadstool, Kenya, zoas, Duncan, gsp, mushrooms, 3 btas and 2 rock flowers. This is the water I was using. If i can just continue using distilled and mix reef crystals, I will. It’s much easier. Corals are all happy, it’s the gha that is the problem. Attached pictures of that as well

That water is fine.

I think you need to chase down a different rabbit hole for the cause of your GHA.

Upvote 0

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That water is fine.

I think you need to chase down a different rabbit hole for the cause of your GHA.

I agree, the water almost certainly didn't cause your algae outbreak. You said you moved away from your lfs? So presumably you moved the tank with you? That probably stirred things up releasing bound nutrients which is fueling the algae.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change Up to 50% but 100 is extreme, removes some bacteria and is like starting over. I would not used distilled which is low in Ph and often still has traces of zinc and metals. Use RODI or even water bottle refill water from the grocery store. From LFS- Test that water occasionally for phosphates and nitrates- some do show as high.
Alk is in the salt and you should not need to raise alk more which is what bicarbonate will do especially for a tank of this size and leave precipitation.
GHA-
In addition to the source of water being used, is this tank at or near a window?

In Lieu of a 100% water change, its best to do 10 gallon water changes daily - But why do you want to do major water change ? I can see if High ammonia
I’m using henna for alk, nitrate, and ph. Phosphate and mag I’m using salifert. Calcium api. I haven’t used tap water. It is by a window and has light shining in every now and then but strangely, the gha is on only the right side of tank where gets no natural light, where window is on left side. I meant more of like 100% water change in a reasonable time frame. Like 30% every week or something. Not all at once.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the water almost certainly didn't cause your algae outbreak. You said you moved away from your lfs? So presumably you moved the tank with you? That probably stirred things up releasing bound nutrients which is fueling the algae.
Yes, I kept the old water but new sand. I moved in November and gha showed up in January

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA-

My phosphate is at 0.03
Nitrate 10
Alk 8.3
Ph 8.0
My mag runs high like a little below 1500, haven’t tested in a week tho
Calcium 480
Phosphate got up too .25 and stayed that way for a month til I started bag of regular Brs gfo. I also have a refugium with chaeto

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back