Safe?

The Saltwater Kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my 2 (actually 3 as I will be setting up Magnesium as well) part doser and I was just wondering if it's safe to use old vinegar jugs as the jugs for my Ak, Calc. and Mg supplements? These jugs had some Heinz distilled white vinegar in them but are perfect at 1 gal. each, I have since rinsed them with hot water and soaked them in hot water over night...do you think they are safe to put the supplements in now?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. I used to use those jugs for my RO/DI storage.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes vinegar jugs are fine i use 55g jugs to hold my ro/di water

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my two part up in big batches and use old vinegar jugs to store it as well as to dose from ..... been doing it for about a year without any problems!

lpslover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother soaking them. Just a through rinse should be good.

Vinegar is great stuff for all kinds of reef stuff by the way. You can add vinegar directly to the tank as a carbon source, you can use it to mix super saturated kalkwasser, you can use it to soak equipment to remove coraline build up, or my personal favorite: rinse your hand/arm off to stop the stinging if you get too close to one of your nastier corals or anemonies.

OP
OP
T

The Saltwater Kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lpslover - yup, I knew about the cleaning equipment and the anti-sting uses and figured it would be safe, i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't react with a concentrated dose of Alk, Calc or Mg in any negative way...you never can be too careful in this hobby as things can go from great to gone overnight :neutral:.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back