Safely adding a BTA to a mixed reef tank

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@fishnreef sells a product called an "anemone cradle" I'm looking to pick one up for when I add a nem to my reef. I know it isn't a totally bulletproof plan, but IME if a nem gets it's foot planted somewhere deep (like one of these cradles), they usually stay put.

1.png
2.png

Logan27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea. Mine never stopped moving and stinging corals, 2 of them are still recovering after 2 months. I had to get rid of it. It was really nice though :(

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishnreef sells a product called an "anemone cradle" I'm looking to pick one up for when I add a nem to my reef. I know it isn't a totally bulletproof plan, but IME if a nem gets it's foot planted somewhere deep (like one of these cradles), they usually stay put.

1.png
2.png

Great idea! I wish they were on amazon prime next day delivery haha everything in this hobby requires so much patience!!!

Nathan33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this too. I never see this talked about but they absolutely avoid touching SPS.

This is only anecdotal. They do not make an effort to avoid SPS or other corals. Each animal is using resources light, flow etc. and they each compete for the same resources no matter what. Typically the animal with the strongest nematocysts win competition for space. I've seen BTAs right up in the middle of several different species of acro, and stylo. Occasional stings wont kill another coral but constant or regular stings will. Your BTA is very similar to a coral just without the structure. Corals compete for resources and their interactions depend on the specific species they are encountering. Not many corals can withstand the sting of a nem for long periods but those that can also recovery pretty quickly.

Jeff Evrard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 in a mixed reef and 2 turned to 8 in a year. I had to tear apart the tank and break up the rock to get them out. They were stinging all of my nice SPS and causing a lot of damage. They were like giant aiptasia. I don't recommend it unless your tank is all soft and stinging aggressive stuff.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays put. I have a lot of light and flow up top so it stays low away from all of that. (Where my sps are). And my clowns host it too, which I think helps. If you do, which Im all for, put clowns with it, give it time to find a spot, and don't change anything after. Always a chance, but if you pay attention, it's a risk worth talking.

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted one.

One of you said put them on their own island rock and someone posted a rock with a hole in it.

Might try them ideas. How fasy do they move tho??

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are slow movers but I had one on a separate rock in the corner it split then one of the clones disappeared for a day and the next day it was on the other side of the tank kill my frogspawn.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is only anecdotal. They do not make an effort to avoid SPS or other corals. Each animal is using resources light, flow etc. and they each compete for the same resources no matter what. Typically the animal with the strongest nematocysts win competition for space. I've seen BTAs right up in the middle of several different species of acro, and stylo. Occasional stings wont kill another coral but constant or regular stings will. Your BTA is very similar to a coral just without the structure. Corals compete for resources and their interactions depend on the specific species they are encountering. Not many corals can withstand the sting of a nem for long periods but those that can also recovery pretty quickly.
Anecdotal or not, my anemone altered its shape to avoid touching a stag for months. I had to pull all my acros and the day I pulled them, the anemone expanded its disc fully and completely covered the spot where the stag was.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it. I love my rbta and clowns. It does not appear that your tank is way overcrowded with Coral. I can see where if it were crowded, it can be a problem.

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6541e20a33db487893e4c7f29c1e8223.jpg
2fe63738b01731b66f1df72327ec8dda.jpg

So... I got my first nem last night. I cleared some space in a rock that had a perfect crevice for it to put it's foot in. 24 hours later it hasn't moved and looks happy... I'll keep my fingers crossed and you posted

Please excuse the terrible pictures...

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cleared the perfect spot, it's bound to move! I had one where every time it's foot wasn't attached, I'd move it across the tank. Probably 5 times. It always moved back to the same spot within hours like it had eyes. Unfortunately that spot was in the back of the tank where you couldn't see it!

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
457924776a16b3a954dfa5ffd588c466.jpg

How risky is it to add a BTA to an established tank? It would be awesome to add one, but I don't want to kill everything in my tank by doing so.

How can the risk be mitigated? What's the best and safest way to add it?

I added a pic of the tank. It's a custom 40g AIO with 3 AI Prime (1 HD, 2 regular)
why does everyone abbreviate, what the heck is a BTA, please call it what it is

Stolireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anemonies but I love my SPS more. Every time I've added an anemone, it seems to find the most expensive/prized SPS in my tank and decide that's its favorite location. I'm sure if I had a bunch of green star polyps, it would never go near them. I'm still considering getting one for my new build but...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6541e20a33db487893e4c7f29c1e8223.jpg
2fe63738b01731b66f1df72327ec8dda.jpg

So... I got my first nem last night. I cleared some space in a rock that had a perfect crevice for it to put it's foot in. 24 hours later it hasn't moved and looks happy... I'll keep my fingers crossed and you posted

Please excuse the terrible pictures...
Best of luck! That's a vey nice BTA!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back