Sailfin Tang fins all jagged and not normal

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If it was the hemrald or hermits it would not be jaggard like that, its finns are rotting kinda looks like an ammonia type burn that never got treated, ditch the brine its only a treat ,get some NORI good pellet food (sustainable aquatics) nd mysis or a mixed meal, I cant stress that enuff nd make sure hes a gavone by the end of everyday nd it will go away, you dont have a qt otherwise u can treat that rite now without any issue

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY TANGS LOVE BROWN NORI. CUT IT IN STRIPS ABOUT 1/4in X 4in. add a drop or 2 of selcon and feed 3 to 4 times a day.

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is definitely eating on him. Grab a flashlight in the middle of the night when it's darkest and see what's going on. Do you have hermit crabs?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think from only a couple times seeing fin rot, that the fins would be nearly gone after a month. It's not going to be those crabs doing it. My best guess is the clowns as they can be territorial and down right vicious. The fact that it is such a small tank raise that territorial aggression. But the only time you will see it happen is when the tang entered their area. Other than that it will seem like they get along fine. Maybe only happens when the lights turn off and tang is looking for space to sleep. Feeding better foods will help speed recovery.

My suggestion is to get a larger tank going if you wish to keep these types of fish. If you can't upgrade, then stick with fish designated for a 29g.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a mild bacterial infection. One the fish's natural immune system is mostly able to keep at bay but not completely knock out.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I found out my lfs actually sells that seachem focus so I'll be able to get that. Same with the kanaplex. Just so I understand, you bind the kanaplex with the focus to the seaweed (does it matter what kind you use?) and just put it in the tank and leave it there or take it out after awhile? Also does it need to be on a seaweed clip? And since I'll be binding it to the seaweed it will likely not do anything to my cora, correct? Sorry if my questions seem repetitive. I just want to make sure nothing happens and I do it right.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I found out my lfs actually sells that seachem focus so I'll be able to get that. Same with the kanaplex. Just so I understand, you bind the kanaplex with the focus to the seaweed (does it matter what kind you use?) and just put it in the tank and leave it there or take it out after awhile? Also does it need to be on a seaweed clip? And since I'll be binding it to the seaweed it will likely not do anything to my cora, correct? Sorry if my questions seem repetitive. I just want to make sure nothing happens and I do it right.

You can use Focus to bind Kanaplex to any food. A little is naturally going to leach out, but kanamycin in low doses isn't going to harm your corals/inverts. To give you an example of what I mean: The old formula for Chemiclean (used to eradicate cyanobacteria) was basically just erythromycin (an antibiotic). People would dump that full strength right into their DT with corals/inverts. :eek:

However, it is prudent to run some carbon just as an insurance policy. ;)

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Focus to bind Kanaplex to any food. A little is naturally going to leach out, but kanamycin in low doses isn't going to harm your corals/inverts. To give you an example of what I mean: The old formula for Chemiclean (used to eradicate cyanobacteria) was basically just erythromycin (an antibiotic). People would dump that full strength right into their DT with corals/inverts. :eek:

However, it is prudent to run some carbon just as an insurance policy. ;)
Alright good deal. Just picked up kanaplex and focus. Do I bind it with the seaweed and a little bit of water? Also how long should I continue to give it to him? I feed them twice a day right now. Can I put the seaweed on the surface and he will eat it or will it need to be on a clip? And how much at one time?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright good deal. Just picked up kanaplex and focus. Do I bind it with the seaweed and a little bit of water? Also how long should I continue to give it to him? I feed them twice a day right now. Can I put the seaweed on the surface and he will eat it or will it need to be on a clip? And how much at one time?

You can use a little water or garlic extract to get everything to "mesh" well together. Use a seaweed clip or rubberband the nori to a small rock. Either way is fine, but dont let it just float around on the surface of the water. Take it out if it starts breaking up and floating around the tank. Eventually you'll be able to tell when it's time to take it out before it starts breaking up.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you use Focus, the ratio is 5:1 (Focus:Kanaplex). For Kanaplex, you basically use 1 measure spoon (included) per 1 tablespoon of food. So normally, you would mix 5 measure spoons of Focus and 1 measure spoon of Kanaplex with 1 tablespoon of food. This produces a thick paste the fish will eat. But if you are going to soak nori then you will just have to guesstimate how much of the products to use based upon the above information. You will also need to add a little water to help the products seep in.

I would just always keep "medicated nori" on a clip for him to eat and do this for at least 10 continuous days.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you use Focus, the ratio is 5:1 (Focus:Kanaplex). For Kanaplex, you basically use 1 measure spoon (included) per 1 tablespoon of food. So normally, you would mix 5 measure spoons of Focus and 1 measure spoon of Kanaplex with 1 tablespoon of food. This produces a thick paste the fish will eat. But if you are going to soak nori then you will just have to guesstimate how much of the products to use based upon the above information. You will also need to add a little water to help the products seep in.

I would just always keep "medicated nori" on a clip for him to eat and do this for at least 10 continuous days.
Can I mix it with flake food too?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can I just use water from my tank to bind it together or should I use fresh ro water?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flake or frozen food would actually be preferred, as that can be measured out in tablespoons. Use your tank water, as FW makes things float to the surface in SW tanks.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flake or frozen food would actually be preferred, as that can be measured out in tablespoons. Use your tank water, as FW makes things float to the surface in SW tanks.
Well I guess I did the opposite of what you just said then lol. I mixed the stuff together about an hour ago and put it in my tank. I used seaweed and used the FW. I'll know for tomorrow though. Flake food would be easier to mix it in with. Should I let it dry first before adding or is okay to add while still wet from mixing in?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I let it dry first before adding or is okay to add while still wet from mixing in?

I mix it all together and then wait 30 mins or so before feeding. I freeze the leftovers to reuse the next day.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix it all together and then wait 30 mins or so before feeding. I freeze the leftovers to reuse the next day.
Okay cool. I think I shouldn't have any problems now since I've gotten so much help from you and @melypr1985 . Thank you both so much for your help! Don't know what I would do without this site and the amazing people on it!

Lynchmob3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why you want a tang in a biocube. Take him put him in a bucket and drive up to that same lfs you were buying the meds

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back