Sailfin tang small dot or spot on dorsal fin

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I have this sailfing tang under observation, it comes from another tank that had to be dismantled; the fish eats very well and swims very well its behavior is normal.
I noticed this white dot on the right fin and a smaller one on the left fin a week ago, before I hadn't realized I had it, I don't know if it already came with it or not.
I gave it a 30-minute bath in methylene blue last week but it's still the same, it doesn't seem to be going forward or going back, I don't know if it could be something else, maybe

what do you think?

F2B59A42-B8EA-4B2A-BAE7-D30A343698AA.jpeg 6A163014-1A51-46A1-842A-275E6F5E830C.jpeg 94430D9E-CC69-45B8-9D45-19EA3D2772F0.jpeg 77449B37-9C7C-4670-9FB0-F012A2E8006F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3914.MOV
    66 MB
  • IMG_3914.MOV
    66 MB

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs, every now and then, showed the same spots. They would come and go until they were well nourished and eating well. I attributed the spots to be small bacterial attacks. You might want to feed a variety of foods, algae, and soak some in vitamins (e.g., Vita-Chem). Check water quality.

Keep watching.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I have this sailfing tang under observation, it comes from another tank that had to be dismantled; the fish eats very well and swims very well its behavior is normal.
I noticed this white dot on the right fin and a smaller one on the left fin a week ago, before I hadn't realized I had it, I don't know if it already came with it or not.
I gave it a 30-minute bath in methylene blue last week but it's still the same, it doesn't seem to be going forward or going back, I don't know if it could be something else, maybe

what do you think?

F2B59A42-B8EA-4B2A-BAE7-D30A343698AA.jpeg 6A163014-1A51-46A1-842A-275E6F5E830C.jpeg 94430D9E-CC69-45B8-9D45-19EA3D2772F0.jpeg 77449B37-9C7C-4670-9FB0-F012A2E8006F.jpeg
Other than being a bit pale, I don’t see any other symptoms on this fish. The most common cause for a single or few larger white spots on the clear portion of fish fins is due to some trauma to the fin ray. No treatment is needed, but these can take months to fully heal. Spots that come and go, changing in number and location is something else.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you for your valuable response.
The fish is very strong and eats very well. it has a long time in various aquariums!

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you for your valuable response.
The fish is very strong and eats very well. it has a long time in various aquariums!
You could improve on its nutrition, if interested. Here are some of my favorites:
In addition to frozen mysis, I like to use freeze-dried pods like:
Calanus finmarchicus - from Amazon or Brine Shrimp Direct
From Amazon and other sources.
Freeze-dried blackworms (not ocean based but I make an exception for a rare feeding)
Freeze-dried Ocean Plankton
Hikari Bio-Pure Freeze Ocean Plankton for Pets

You can buy live blackworms online. Even though they are freshwater, they are still very nutritious, and they are after all, alive. Since they are freshwater, diseases aren’t an issue.

Another is freeze-dried krill from Brine Shrimp Direct. May need some chopping up.

Chewy.com carries both the following:
Omega One freeze-dried Pacific Plankton
San Francisco Brand freeze-dried (ocean) plankton.

You’ll find other sources for these products. Your local marine fish store may carry one or more. Also, something not on the list is freeze-dried or frozen spirulina gut loaded brine shrimp. I'm not a fan of brine shrimp in general, but the gut loaded one can also be fed, sparingly, like blackworms.

Freeze-dried ocean foods avoid diseases. Another advantage of freeze-dried foods is to soak them in vitamins like one of these:

Vita-Chem Marine
Zoe
S.E.L.C.O. Boost

Many frozen foods are good such as:
Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food (frozen)
Ocean nutrition angel formula
LRS Herbivore diet

More on Fish Nutrition here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back