Sales forum has gotten out of hand

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
See, this guy is a great example. He came into the hobby last year and is apparently used to paying a lot for coral on the sales forum. its a shame.
I came into the hobby like 15 months ago and have paid off my reef tank with sales from my corals.

I have donated some to the local university reef tank

traded some to other locals at frag swaps for corals I did not have

and traded some with world known hobbiest in exchange for some of their corals..

tell me again how I am part of the problem while you complain about being poor or whatever it is you are complaining about since no one really knows.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came into the hobby like 15 months ago and have paid off my reef tank with sales from my corals.

I have donated some to the local university reef tank

traded some to other locals at frag swaps for corals I did not have

and traded some with world known hobbiest in exchange for some of their corals..

tell me again how I am part of the problem while you complain about being poor or whatever it is you are complaining about since no one really knows.
Besides doing gods work, can you help me with my taxes, LOL!

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Besides doing gods work, can you help me with my taxes, LOL!
7 years on R2R and you have less than 300 total messages..

what are you really complaining about??
32C6EF7F-0E76-4552-829B-69E0FED5F67B.jpeg

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 years on R2R and you have less than 300 total messages..

what are you really complaining about??
32C6EF7F-0E76-4552-829B-69E0FED5F67B.jpeg
What can I say Olive, i got nothing to say?

But I see why you are defending hobbyist charging retail for kurls. It benefitted you.

Let the corals grow into colonies. It's a beautiful thing!

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What can I say Olive, i got nothing to say?

But I see why you are defending hobbyist charging retail for kurls. It benefitted you.

Let the corals grow into colonies. It's a beautiful thing!
Don’t get me wrong, the prices paid in the US are absolutely ridiculous, but only from the wholesalers and large companies.
I do not see any problem with obvious profiting, because the big fish companies charge stupid prices.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm also interested in the bartering rule.
Lets say I buy a car (black), a friend buys the same car (red). we both pay taxes on them.
If i want to trade with him because I prefer red, we both still need to pay taxes again?
You need (as far as I know) - report the income as barter income UNLESS - you want to consider the car a gift to the other person - and vice versa. Like I said - I'm not an accountant. I'm sure there are plenty out there that can answer

N-A-S-O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Independent sellers with zero overhead, possibly no company structure (LLC formation, etc) and no storefront (digital or otherwise) are charging at or above market for livestock.

I hope everyone understands that the heart of this hobby are in person frag swaps and below market peer to peer sales in a digital setting. LFS visits and online retailer shopping is also fun, BUT not what makes the community.

All of you are ruining the market. Importers and retailers will up their prices to follow this trend.
You are 1000% Correct. I miss the days when a fellow reefer or yourself would by an expensive frag then grow it out and sell it for cheap. We all did that. It was what goes around come around for sure.

Last edited:

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You need (as far as I know) - report the income as barter income UNLESS - you want to consider the car a gift to the other person - and vice versa. Like I said - I'm not an accountant. I'm sure there are plenty out there that can answer
Reporting anything beyond my income tax from my job to the government is a waste.

Taxation is theft by definition

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are 1000% Correct. I miss the days when a fellow reefer or yourself would by an expensive frag then grow it out and sell it for cheap. Well all did that. It was what goes around come around for sure.
Sounds like you guys need to create or join a local frag club or go to frag swaps..

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asagi I thought that was well said. I didn’t know there was a rule that it’s not for commercial use. Hobby only. Rev/whoever owns the site deserves a cut of any commercial transactions since the site is connecting buyers and sellers, he/admins aren’t taking a cut from hobby transactions so that’s indeed an unfair workaround if the retailers are sneaking in.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys need to create or join a local frag club or go to frag swaps..
It used to be like that on here. Or maybe more Reef Central

"Hey guys i chopped up my over grown NoobOliveWithaShotgun Acro", I got 15 frags. you pay shipping and I'll overnight it."

N-A-S-O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember back on reef central becoming friends with several other reefers from all over the country. We would send each other frags if what we had for free, just cover shipping and box. Fun!
Same here. I was so much fun doing that. I would also spend a Sat driving around MA/CT with a cooler picking up frags and handing them out to the people I visited. The coral was usually free or a trade. On the rear occasion that there was money being exchanged it was never over 30$.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asagi I thought that was well said. I didn’t know there was a rule that it’s not for commercial use. Hobby only. Rev/whoever owns the site deserves a cut of any commercial transactions since the site is connecting buyers and sellers, he/admins aren’t taking a cut from hobby transactions so that’s indeed an unfair workaround if the retailers are sneaking in.
Yo you in Tejas, I'm in Tejas!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do hope that we can stop hobbyists from selling at retail prices!
As soon as this is accomplished, since I was in the car business , I’ll try to make it illegal for car owners to sell their old cars at dealer retail prices! They should be forced to sell them for pennies on the dollar ! That seems like a fair deal to me…
and don’t get me started on how much $ people want for their old Rolex watches!!!!!

;)

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As soon as this is accomplished, since I was in the car business , I’ll try to make it illegal for car owners to sell their old cars at dealer retail prices! They should be forced to sell them for pennies on the dollar ! That seems like a fair deal to me…
and don’t get me started on how much $ people want for their old Rolex watches!!!!!

;)
lol
Thinking people will stop selling items for more profit just because.. it’s the wrong way of thinking my friend.

as soon as the wholesale and business retail prices come down, the hobbyist prices will as well.

it’s not the little guys setting the prices in the big picture it’s the suppliers, wholesalers and businesses driving prices up.

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Prices will come down for everyone as soon as there is more supply than there is demand

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And seeing that we as the human race are killing all of the coral in the oceans little by little, but I do not for see this happening any time during our lifetime.

It is time for everyone to start thinking, in terms of
when all the coral in the ocean die we are the only people that will be able to help re-populate the oceans with corals someday when conditions are favorable once again…..if ever again

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

;)
If you cut that car in half, do you eventually have 2 cars? HAHA

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back