Let's Discuss the Reef Racket...

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo....I never got into the Saltwater game until moving to the space coast in 21. 2022 started 1st 40GB Saltwater Tank. Born and raised in Orlando. Sure...we all visited WWC for the oooohs and aaaaawwws...but again wasn't in the Saltwater game.

I've had Freshwater for over 20 years.

I only visited LFS on the Space Coast and every so often 1 or 2 in Orlando once I got my 40B up and running.

Virtually everything I have comes from the Space Coast and a few coral from Reefpalooza. All good.

Fast Forward 2 years, we set up my 14 year old nephew 13.5 Evo Tank...all good. We got some stuff from our local Space Coast stores...all good. Gave it some time...and my nephew being 14 watches tons of YT videos, and there is a certain YTer who most people know who gets all his stuff from a certain place in Orlando.

Well...fast Forward, and my nephew and I took a trip to Orlando to revisit 1 store, and also visit another store that said YTer gets all his stuff from.

Holy Space Balls....they were literally charging Triple to Quadruple the prices we see on the Space Coast.

Also, we have gotten to know many of the LFS owners over here...and they will all tell you...they all pretty much get the same stuff from the same suppliers.

So How can it be??

A few things.

I feel bad for anyone in Orlando who would like to get into this hobby, because most people think it's terribly expensive...and yes it can be...but not to the degree these top stores in Orlando make it out to be.

IMHO...They are deterring people to start up. It was literally highway robbery the prices they were charging...I couldn't believe it.

And to make matters worse, the one store that said famous YTer post videos of....we overhead people in the store saying... well...look this is what ---- ------- bought...or this is what he has...

It's almost like because they are being blown up on YT....they feel like they can charge whatever they want.

The fish prices were absolutely dumb...and the Coral were absolutely laughable insane.

Would you like a Snowstorm, Frostbite, Black Ice x Gladiator, Gold Nugget, Maroon for $1400/pair??

Of course they had plenty of the infamous Golden Chalice Torch for $1000.

Would you like a Golden Hammer $200/head smallest being a 3 head?

Or how about our Local LFS's?

Bi color hammer 2 heads...on sale $40.
Dragon Soul Torch $75.
Pikachu Zoas $45.

Shoot...even one of the newer LFS we go to had a shop for 10 years on the Space Coast...he pretty much retired for a few years, and because he's friends with people from WWC, Frag Box Corals etc....they convinced him to reopen a new store..he has amazing Zoas, Hammer, Torch etc...and they are literally a quarter of the price...and he makes a profit...

So how is this reasonable?

1 LFS has same stuff as other for a fraction of the cost, but another 40 minutes away has same stuff for Quadruple the prices???

Places were a total Rip off!!

But because of YT celebrity status, they seem to be OK with ripping people off. They should be ashamed.

I shall not name names, But many of them are sponsors here and like to have special sales on R2R. You all know who im talking about!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my area there was no LFS for 30+ minutes. Two years ago one opened…3 min from my house. I was excited, watched it being built, bought supplies when they opened early before the tanks were ready. Cool owner. Then. The coral tanks were setup. I’ve been there twice to browse and won’t go back

Regular olé single head green torch - 150$
Acans - regular ones, 3 head frag - 100$
Meat coral - this was actually large and nice but price - 800$
Non “designer” zoa clusters - 20poyps approx - 150+
One head dragon soul touch - 275$

It was insane. Inverts, fish, and supplies are all typical but the coral prices are completely ridiculous

flfrosty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these space coast LFS that you speak of? I am on the space coast so always looking for a good source.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that places like that aren’t really interested in selling to the common Reefer anyway. Why settle for nickel and dime profits to the masses, when you can cater to the wealthy and make more per sale? Reefing is a hobby of excess, and not everyone is interested in making it affordable for everyone. Just my thoughts.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can understand the frustration but they can charge what people will pay. On some level I’m sure they have to compensate for overhead/rent being a lot higher, but likewise I’m sure they’re just making a lot more margin. The prices may be a turn off to some but if enough people are paying it then good for them.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, some hobbyists are willing to pay the higher prices. As long as that's the case, we will see some vendors push the boundaries. Crazy.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having helped run an LFS years ago, I can tell you our prices for coral were generally 1/3 to 1/2 the bigger name Orlando stores but we still had a lot of customers that would use us for the staples but drive down there for the same corals that were sitting in our tanks just because it started with one of those abbreviations...

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any store or business can charge whatever they want. That’s their right. Your right is to not buy from them. It’s others’ right to buy from them. Case closed. Don’t like it? Don’t shop there.

A long drawn out rant complaining against someone being successful says more about you than them. Just saying
so true, as a weird side effect of supply and demand is in wildlife trafficking; in parts of Asia BOTH price and demand is driven by a “ negative feedback loop: the more the species is hunted the more rare it becomes which drives up the price which oddly drives up the demand …
panglions, tiger parts and rare corals being case in point

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha ha, yes let’s discuss :cool:

…pssss …you don’t have to name “ names” … will a 3 letter acronym do ? lol
I'm not even talking about WWC.

They are the Straight up OGs in Central FL. They actually get coral pieces from all over the world and I appreciate them and understand what they do. Before any other places in Orlando, there was the Original WWC on S. OBT....Before the new location by Sea World and their 2nd location in Winter Park.

Funny thing, the other places I'm talking about actually get stuff from WWC. and one of my newer LFS stores that is quickly becoming my favorite is friends with Victor and others at WWC, they are the ones who encouraged him to get back into the business and have been helping him.

Years before I even considered a Saltwater Tank, we would always visit the original location on S. OBT, very nice and helpful....even then.

They are great people.

It's the newer stores that used to be decent, but all of a sudden got some youtube celebrity love who magically think they can charge whatever.

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, some hobbyists are willing to pay the higher prices. As long as that's the case, we will see some vendors push the boundaries. Crazy.
This is true also.

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any store or business can charge whatever they want. That’s their right. Your right is to not buy from them. It’s others’ right to buy from them. Case closed. Don’t like it? Don’t shop there.
Don't worry, I won't. I'm all for any business making profits, obscene profits even. I'm just making a point....when people are charging Quadruple prices for same stuff that all LFS'S can get just because some name brand youtuber said its cool...I have a problem with and as others have said
..yes...it's an expensive hobby, but places like this are detrimental to people wanting to start up....they make it seem its super outrageous expensive to start, and that's simply not true

Finallysalty80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo....I never got into the Saltwater game until moving to the space coast in 21. 2022 started 1st 40GB Saltwater Tank. Born and raised in Orlando. Sure...we all visited WWC for the oooohs and aaaaawwws...but again wasn't in the Saltwater game.

I've had Freshwater for over 20 years.

I only visited LFS on the Space Coast and every so often 1 or 2 in Orlando once I got my 40B up and running.

Virtually everything I have comes from the Space Coast and a few coral from Reefpalooza. All good.

Fast Forward 2 years, we set up my 14 year old nephew 13.5 Evo Tank...all good. We got some stuff from our local Space Coast stores...all good. Gave it some time...and my nephew being 14 watches tons of YT videos, and there is a certain YTer who most people know who gets all his stuff from a certain place in Orlando.

Well...fast Forward, and my nephew and I took a trip to Orlando to revisit 1 store, and also visit another store that said YTer gets all his stuff from.

Holy Space Balls....they were literally charging Triple to Quadruple the prices we see on the Space Coast.

Also, we have gotten to know many of the LFS owners over here...and they will all tell you...they all pretty much get the same stuff from the same suppliers.

So How can it be??

A few things.

I feel bad for anyone in Orlando who would like to get into this hobby, because most people think it's terribly expensive...and yes it can be...but not to the degree these top stores in Orlando make it out to be.

IMHO...They are deterring people to start up. It was literally highway robbery the prices they were charging...I couldn't believe it.

And to make matters worse, the one store that said famous YTer post videos of....we overhead people in the store saying... well...look this is what ---- ------- bought...or this is what he has...

It's almost like because they are being blown up on YT....they feel like they can charge whatever they want.

The fish prices were absolutely dumb...and the Coral were absolutely laughable insane.

Would you like a Snowstorm, Frostbite, Black Ice x Gladiator, Gold Nugget, Maroon for $1400/pair??

Of course they had plenty of the infamous Golden Chalice Torch for $1000.

Would you like a Golden Hammer $200/head smallest being a 3 head?

Or how about our Local LFS's?

Bi color hammer 2 heads...on sale $40.
Dragon Soul Torch $75.
Pikachu Zoas $45.

Shoot...even one of the newer LFS we go to had a shop for 10 years on the Space Coast...he pretty much retired for a few years, and because he's friends with people from WWC, Frag Box Corals etc....they convinced him to reopen a new store..he has amazing Zoas, Hammer, Torch etc...and they are literally a quarter of the price...and he makes a profit...

So how is this reasonable?

1 LFS has same stuff as other for a fraction of the cost, but another 40 minutes away has same stuff for Quadruple the prices???

Places were a total Rip off!!

But because of YT celebrity status, they seem to be OK with ripping people off. They should be ashamed.

I shall not name names, But many of them are sponsors here and like to have special sales on R2R. You all know who im talking about!
Don't get me wrong I'm happy they are doing well...good for them. That being said, my very first coral ever was from a LFS (and every one since). The owner gave me two frags for free to get me started (a sort of coral drug dealer I suppose). I don't know how common interactions like that are in the bigger, "designer" stores. I guess I prefer a small store like that LFS, the "chic" coral stores just aren't my style lol.

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And moreover just to say...I'm not talking about WWC here.

Mad respect ro the OGs in Orlando!!

It's some of the places that have barely been in business for 5 years or so, who now all of a sudden think they can charge and do whatever because of celebrity youtuber endorsements.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever checked the price of...everything?

The cost of doing business has nearly doubled the last few years. It sucks but I'd be dang glad there's a least a store there to browse and potentially buy from.

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever checked the price of...everything?

The cost of doing business has nearly doubled the last few years. It sucks but I'd be dang glad there's a least a store there to browse and potentially buy from.
I totally agree,,but let's say there are 6 stores within 45 minutes of each other and 3 have good to moderate prices,,the other 3 have OMG Quadruple prices!...all stores buy from same suppliers.

I'm fully aware of inflation...but this caused by Youtuber celebrities.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back