Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_4708.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG
Hey
IMG_4699.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG
It has taken me a bit to write this, both due to just being gutwrenched and also due to the fact that this is just a completely avoidable situation.
I knew the risks associated with FWE, but I pushed ahead anyway...
Wrong!

I can't even begin to explain how utterly devastated I am.

I had a fairly huge lps collection consisting of some super nice acans I had really put effort into obtaining, had a couple of one of a kind scolys too...
all gone.
I didn't know chalices could be killed, but mine shot messentrial filaments all over themselves and just fizzled away.
Which is exactly what all of my acans did too!
Torch's got bjd and rotted away, same with favias, leptos and a platy.
What few sps colonies I had were the first to show signs before they bleached in a matter of hours, which prompted me to do a MAJOR water change which I fear only exacerbated the added stress on my corals; so stupid because a 6 line would of controlled the red planaria issue but I was fearful for my rainford's life!

Mushrooms and zoas are closed up and most haven't opened in a week.
A couple melted, a couple more have white fungus on them so they're on their way out.
I managed to transfer a couple of zoas into a tiny pico I have on my kitchen counter, and they have yet to open... :(

Oddly, there are 2 blastos, an acan or 2 and a yuma that seem unaffected.
And an elegance that seems to still be alive.
And the 2 tiny fish I have, barnacle blenny and rainford's goby (ahhh!), are also unaffected.
Go figure!

I have a solid 1"-1 1/2" sandbed, and to my eyes the fauna seems to still be alive in there, so I have not vac'd it out.
I'm not sure if i should?
I followed the instructions to a T...
Had carbon in the sump and also ran a HOT filter, fearful knowing the risks of levamisole.

The only real plausible explanation i could come up with is there has to be a variation between bottle to bottle leading to some batches becoming more concentrated with levamisole than others.
I mean I really don't know, I'm desperately trying to find a rhyme or reason

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw crap Chi! So sorry...
I honestly dont know what could have happened.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is horrible, sorry.:confused:

Did you attempt to remove as many flatworms as possible prior to treatment? Upon death flatworms release a potent toxin capable of crashing a tank especially a smaller tank.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this.

I would be interested in ammonia, salinity, pH, and alk.

Rinse some new carbon and get into place preferably in a reactor and several small water changes could help or do nothing at all now. Siphon out what you can while you do the water changes. A Poly filter (boyds not polyfill) if you have one wouldn't hurt either. And clean out that HOT filter.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG_4708.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG
Hey
IMG_4699.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG
It has taken me a bit to write this, both due to just being gutwrenched and also due to the fact that this is just a completely avoidable situation.
I knew the risks associated with FWE, but I pushed ahead anyway...
Wrong!

I can't even begin to explain how utterly devastated I am.

I had a fairly huge lps collection consisting of some super nice acans I had really put effort into obtaining, had a couple of one of a kind scolys too...
all gone.
I didn't know chalices could be killed, but mine shot messentrial filaments all over themselves and just fizzled away.
Which is exactly what all of my acans did too!
Torch's got bjd and rotted away, same with favias, leptos and a platy.
What few sps colonies I had were the first to show signs before they bleached in a matter of hours, which prompted me to do a MAJOR water change which I fear only exacerbated the added stress on my corals; so stupid because a 6 line would of controlled the red planaria issue but I was fearful for my rainford's life!

Mushrooms and zoas are closed up and most haven't opened in a week.
A couple melted, a couple more have white fungus on them so they're on their way out.
I managed to transfer a couple of zoas into a tiny pico I have on my kitchen counter, and they have yet to open... :(

Oddly, there are 2 blastos, an acan or 2 and a yuma that seem unaffected.
And an elegance that seems to still be alive.
And the 2 tiny fish I have, barnacle blenny and rainford's goby (ahhh!), are also unaffected.
Go figure!

I have a solid 1"-1 1/2" sandbed, and to my eyes the fauna seems to still be alive in there, so I have not vac'd it out.
I'm not sure if i should?
I followed the instructions to a T...
Had carbon in the sump and also ran a HOT filter, fearful knowing the risks of levamisole.

The only real plausible explanation i could come up with is there has to be a variation between bottle to bottle leading to some batches becoming more concentrated with levamisole than others.
I mean I really don't know, I'm desperately trying to find a rhyme or reason
Sorry about this chichi, might have to consider a reboot, maybe not a whole redo but diligent water changes/floss/carbon/some syphoning along with some time. Hopefully you can shake any discouragement and everything turns back to normal in no time!

OP
OP
ChiCity

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is horrible, sorry.:confused:

Did you attempt to remove as many flatworms as possible prior to treatment? Upon death flatworms release a potent toxin capable of crashing a tank especially a smaller tank.
Yes sir I did. My total volume is a little over 30g and I was in the sump clearing out what I could as well...
I'm literally at loss, literally

Params

Dkh 9.3 (normal)
No3 5-8 (normal)
Cal 460 (normalish)
Po4 0 (abnormal)
Mg 1600 (bryopisis)
Ph 7.7 (normal)

OP
OP
ChiCity

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_4745.JPG
Signs of life after losing everything else.
But about 80% of my zoas have maintained their size and shape whilst staying closed for over a week.
This morning, some of them are starting to open again!
I pretty much was about to just tear everything down and move on from this hobby, now I have some reason to push forward again

OP
OP
ChiCity

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, forgot to mention...
I added reef energy a and b last night, my tank has been running basically ulns since the crash so i figured why not.
Coincidence?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back