Salifert Iodide test and Seachem iodide additive

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I purchased a Seachem Iodine test kit along with Seachem's iodide additive. I ended up contaminating the test kit after a while and was only able to pick up Salifert's test kit at the time. My question is, the Salifert Iodide test result clear when I first tested (< .01). I added 1 mL of Seachem Iodide (1 mL of Iodide is supposed to raise iodide to .1 per 20 gallons. My tank is 10 and actually 8 with rock and sand). Ideal range Seachem says is .06 - .08. After testing again my test showed <.01 or maybe .01. I added another mL of Iodide and tested again. This test showed .01 or maybe a little bit higher. I also tested that the test kit was registering by adding a mL to the vial to which the result was > .2 (which indicated that the test was testing something).

My question is. Is the Salifert test kit for iodide testing accurately? And, are the instructions for the Seachem Iodide off? 1 mL should raises my Iodide level to above .1 but the test reads 0 or .01. Did Seachem mean that 1 mL raises Iodide .01 ppm?

If you need me to find the instructions for the Seachem Iodide additive let me know.

Thanks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem iodide.
You need to test soon after add and it’s good for maybe 2 days.
Add another ml and test....if it don’t raise, test is bad....I use the same test as you.
For reference only, I need only 2mls each day to keep my 65g in the 0.03-0.06 range.

B7022EF2-A65C-4ED0-9275-FBE6E5917638.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies. Randy, I measured a few minutes after and then 6 hours later. I'm sure mine is depleted pretty rapidly. I know activated carbon absorbs it and I use that.

Uncle99, thank you for that comparison. I was a little surprised that I added 2 mL and was still very low on the scale. Do you think I need to be adding more or does it take a few days for it to get up to the level?

Anyway, thank you for your help. I may just buy another Seachem test kit and see what it says for comparison.

netsequent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very curious comparison. The Salifert marketing material argues that Iodate is what's present in NSW, and not much "Iodide", so they explictly measure for Iodate. I'm also impressed by Seachem's claim about their supplement that it a) "is formulated to provide a safe source of iodide that will not convert to toxic free iodine under storage or reef conditions". b) Lugol’s is a highly concentrated iodine/iodide solution that is highly toxic and intended for disinfection.

I'd also be curious to know if there were discrepancies in comparison between the two tests or the effects of dosing various Iodide supplements. Thanks for the post.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back