Salifert Iodine test instrucctions sheet

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks!
I have lost the instructions of the Salifert Iodine test. I have searched the internet and I can not find the correct one. On Marine Depot there are some instructions but in those the I2-1 reagent is not even used.
Please, can someone send me a picture of the instructions sheet?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks!
I have lost the instructions of the Salifert Iodine test. I have searched the internet and I can not find the correct one. On Marine Depot there are some instructions but in those the I2-1 reagent is not even used.
Please, can someone send me a picture of the instructions sheet?
I found this here, hopefully this helps :)

http://www.reefs.org/library/testkits/salifert/SalifertTestKitsinstructions.pdf

Iodine Instructions for Iodide Test:
1. Rinse test vial before use with a little aquarium water and add 2ml of water with the syringe.
2. Add 6 drops of I2-3 and swirl gently for 2-3 seconds after each drop (I-2-2 is omitted in this procedure).
3. After exactly 4 minutes after adding this reagent compare colors with the iodide part of the color chart by holding the test vial with its side firmly against a white piece of the color chart and by looking through the opposite side. Waiting longer than 4 minutes will cause further darkening of the colors. For color comparison use diffuse daylight. Sometimes the colors can have a more yellow tinge depending on the color temperature of the light. If the color turns blue, purple or black or a precipitate forms then the iodide concentration is far above 0.2 ppm. After each test rinse the test vial about ten times with tap or RO water.
Instructions for Iodate and Iodine Test:
1. Rinse test vial before use with a little aquarium water and add 2ml of water with the syringe.
2. Add 1 drop of I2-2 (I2-1 is omitted in this procedure) reagent and swirl gently for 10 seconds.
3. Add 6 drops of I2-3 and swirl gently for 10 seconds. Allow it to stand for 3 minutes. Now look from the side od the test vial. If the color is dark yellow, green or blue or even has several blue colored particles in it then this suggests that the iodate concentration is far higher than 0.2ppm and a precipitate can form in the next step. This might result in the next step in an almost colorless solution with tiny blue particles. The next step will allow the measurement if the iodate concentration is not far above 0.2ppm
4. Add 5 drops of I2-2 and swirl gently for 10 seconds. Now compare colors with the iodate part of the color chart by holding the test vial with its side firmly against a white piece of the color shart and by looking through the opposite side. After each test rinse the test vial about ten times with tap or RO water.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instructions:

Procedure for iodide

(1) rinse the measuring vial before use with aquarium water and add 2 ml of water into the syringe.

(2) add 6 drops of reagent I2-1 and stir gently for 10 seconds.

(3) add 6 drops of the reagent I2-3 and stir gently for 2-3 seconds after each drop (I2-2 omitted in this procedure!). After 4 minutes flat have added this reagent compare the color with the color chart of the part of the iodide keeping the measuring vial firmly with a side on a white part of the color chart and looking through the opposite face. Waiting for more than 4 minutes can cause darkening of the colors. For the comparison of colors use a diffuse light. Sometimes the colors can have a more yellow tone depending on the light color temperature.

If the color becomes blue, lilac or black or a kind of precipitation is that the concentration of iodide is far below 0.2 ppm.

After each measurement rinse ten times the vial with water from the tap or osmosis.

Combined procedure of iodates and iodine:

(1) rinse the measuring vial prior to use with aquarium water and add 1 (a) ml of aguaron syringe.

(2) add one drop of reagent I2-2 (I2-1 is not used in this procedure) and stir gently for 10 seconds.

(3) add 6 drops of the reagent I2-3 and stir gently for 10 seconds.

Let stand for 3 minutes.

Now look on the one hand the measurement vial. If the color is dark yellow, green or blue or blue particles this does presuppose that the concentration of iodates is higher than 0.2 ppm and a precipitation may occur in the next step. This may occur in the next step in the majority of solutions without color with small blue particles.

The next step allows the extent if the concentration of iodates are very below 0.2 ppm.

(4) add 5 drops of I2-2 and shake gently for 10 seconds. Now compare the colors with the part of the colour chart iodate by keeping one side of the measuring vial firmly against the white part of the color chart and looking through the opposite face.

After each measurement rinse ten times the vial with water from the tap or osmosis.

NOTE: ABOVE FOUND HERE.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is which one is right??? The instructions from @crabs_mcjones appears as if they changed the instructions, but kept the I2-1 test bottle in the kit. Why else would that specifically say, "I2-1 is omitted in this procedure." I'm at a loss!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is which one is right??? The instructions from @crabs_mcjones appears as if they changed the instructions, but kept the I2-1 test bottle in the kit. Why else would that specifically say, "I2-1 is omitted in this procedure." I'm at a loss!

From what I can tell, both of our instructions have the I2-1 is ommited in this procedure. :)
Highlighted in the quotes for comparison
Unless i'm wrong.

I found this here, hopefully this helps :)

http://www.reefs.org/library/testkits/salifert/SalifertTestKitsinstructions.pdf

Iodine Instructions for Iodide Test:
2. Add 6 drops of I2-3 and swirl gently for 2-3 seconds after each drop (I-2-2 is omitted in this procedure).
3. After exactly 4 minutes after adding this reagent compare colors with the iodide part of the color chart by holding the test vial with its side firmly against a white piece of the color chart and by looking through the opposite side. Waiting longer than 4 minutes will cause further darkening of the colors. For color comparison use diffuse daylight. Sometimes the colors can have a more yellow tinge depending on the color temperature of the light. If the color turns blue, purple or black or a precipitate forms then the iodide concentration is far above 0.2 ppm. After each test rinse the test vial about ten times with tap or RO water.
Instructions for Iodate and Iodine Test:
2. Add 1 drop of I2-2 (I2-1 is omitted in this procedure) reagent and swirl gently for 10 seconds.
3. Add 6 drops of I2-3 and swirl gently for 10 seconds. Allow it to stand for 3 minutes. Now look from the side od the test vial. If the color is dark yellow, green or blue or even has several blue colored particles in it then this suggests that the iodate concentration is far higher than 0.2ppm and a precipitate can form in the next step. This might result in the next step in an almost colorless solution with tiny blue particles. The next step will allow the measurement if the iodate concentration is not far above 0.2ppm
4. Add 5 drops of I2-2 and swirl gently for 10 seconds. Now compare colors with the iodate part of the color chart by holding the test vial with its side firmly against a white piece of the color shart and by looking through the opposite side. After each test rinse the test vial about ten times with tap or RO water.

Instructions:

Procedure for iodide

(1) rinse the measuring vial before use with aquarium water and add 2 ml of water into the syringe.

(3) add 6 drops of the reagent I2-3 and stir gently for 2-3 seconds after each drop (I2-2 omitted in this procedure!). After 4 minutes flat have added this reagent compare the color with the color chart of the part of the iodide keeping the measuring vial firmly with a side on a white part of the color chart and looking through the opposite face. Waiting for more than 4 minutes can cause darkening of the colors. For the comparison of colors use a diffuse light. Sometimes the colors can have a more yellow tone depending on the light color temperature.

If the color becomes blue, lilac or black or a kind of precipitation is that the concentration of iodide is far below 0.2 ppm.

(1) rinse the measuring vial prior to use with aquarium water and add 1 (a) ml of aguaron syringe.

(2) add one drop of reagent I2-2 (I2-1 is not used in this procedure) and stir gently for 10 seconds.

Let stand for 3 minutes.

Now look on the one hand the measurement vial. If the color is dark yellow, green or blue or blue particles this does presuppose that the concentration of iodates is higher than 0.2 ppm and a precipitation may occur in the next step. This may occur in the next step in the majority of solutions without color with small blue particles.

The next step allows the extent if the concentration of iodates are very below 0.2 ppm.

(4) add 5 drops of I2-2 and shake gently for 10 seconds. Now compare the colors with the part of the colour chart iodate by keeping one side of the measuring vial firmly against the white part of the color chart and looking through the opposite face.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones , the instructions I posted uses I2-1.....in instruction #2 for iodide. The instructions you've post doesn't use I2-1 at all! :eek: But I understand the bottle is included in the kit.....go figure.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones , the instructions I posted uses I2-1.....in instruction #2 for iodide. The instructions you've post doesn't use I2-1 at all! :eek: But I understand the bottle is included in the kit.....go figure.
Gotchya! I was trying to see if mine had a date on it to see if it's an old set or when the instructions were uploaded...couldn't find anything. But hopefully both combined gets OP at least in the ball park of testing :)

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this is a clue from a 2003 Randy article HERE, were he states:

The Salifert iodine test kit detects iodide, iodate, and molecular iodine. Salifert is about to come out with a new iodine kit (using a yellow color instead of a pink color). Assuming that it functions properly, it would be a good choice for anyone dosing iodide, iodate, or molecular iodine, though it is a long test involving quite a few steps. It will not detect many organic iodine forms, and people dosing such compounds should beware of overdosing.

So maybe it depends on whether your kit uses yellow or pink to determine if it's the old one or new one???

OP
OP
Wilsonfeliz

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this is a clue from a 2003 Randy article HERE, were he states:

The Salifert iodine test kit detects iodide, iodate, and molecular iodine. Salifert is about to come out with a new iodine kit (using a yellow color instead of a pink color). Assuming that it functions properly, it would be a good choice for anyone dosing iodide, iodate, or molecular iodine, though it is a long test involving quite a few steps. It will not detect many organic iodine forms, and people dosing such compounds should beware of overdosing.

So maybe it depends on whether your kit uses yellow or pink to determine if it's the old one or new one???

Mine is the new one, It uses yellow.

OP
OP
Wilsonfeliz

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instructions:

Procedure for iodide

Let stand for 3 minutes.

These are the correct instructions. Thanks @redfishbluefish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back