Salifert magnesium test kit instruction change?

WildReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my instructions in my salifert magnesium test kit got lost. And everywhere online it had different instructions on how to test the exp. Date on mine is 5/2025 does anyone know what the correct instructions are? I’ve seen multiple ones say to use 4,5, and 6 drops of mg1.

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8424305B-4A4D-45EE-B156-720FFF937F63.jpeg

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to test my Mg lol. Let me know if you can zoom in on that pic well enough to read it.

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a titration kit, so the 5 or 6 drops of the indicator shouldn't make a difference anyway.

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg-1 is not the indicator, Mg-3 in the old kit and Mg-2 in the new are the indicators.
Mg 2 is the titrant, used to quantitate the magnesium in the sample by volume. It's not the indicator, at least by the definition I'm accustomed to. The indicator (color changing component in the reaction) would be in Mg 1.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg 2 is the titrant, used to quantitate the magnesium in the sample by volume. It's not the indicator, at least by the definition I'm accustomed to. The indicator (color changing component in the reaction) would be in Mg 1.
I don't get it. I would think that the indicator would be the one that causes color change with each drop, then I would think that Mg-1 if even off by one drop would make a difference in test results. I apologize for trying to correct you for something I thought needed correcting. Shows you how much I know. Thank you for correcting me.

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it. I would think that the indicator would be the one that causes color change with each drop, then I would think that Mg-1 if even off by one drop would make a difference in test results. I apologize for trying to correct you for something I thought needed correcting. Shows you how much I know. Thank you for correcting me.
It's not at all intuitive how titration analysis work ;)

The indicator isn't necessarily a key part of the reaction going on when you do the test. Rather it is a chemical that can change color based on the equilibrium between the magnesium in your sample and the titrant you are adding drop by drop. So if you have a little more or less indicator present, it might make your color change a little brighter or obvious, but it's not going to change how many drops it takes to get there.

Hope that makes a little sense as a simplifed explanation. Titration reactions can be quite complex and involved. And I'm not that great at explaining things..

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not at all intuitive how titration analysis work ;)

The indicator isn't necessarily a key part of the reaction going on when you do the test. Rather it is a chemical that can change color based on the equilibrium between the magnesium in your sample and the titrant you are adding drop by drop. So if you have a little more or less indicator present, it might make your color change a little brighter or obvious, but it's not going to change how many drops it takes to get there.

Hope that makes a little sense as a simplifed explanation. Titration reactions can be quite complex and involved. And I'm not that great at explaining things..
I remembered just now while laying in bed. I haven't used Salifert Mg in awhile. Mg 1 is like the dye (indicator), correct? So I was way off and an extra drop will not make a difference, sorry about that.
You explained that very well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back