Salifert Nitrate test card

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there have been a few threads about this, but I wanted to share my experience.

I used to only use the API test kit, but switched to Salifert last year when I set up my latest tank.

I find the color card difficult to read, so now I get the opinions of my sons when doing a test. According to the Salifert test, Nitrates were always showing between 25 and 50. Although the tank never looked like the nitrates were that high - good coral growth, no algae in the DT, slow growing macros in the sump and slow growing algae on the ATS, I started to dose the DIY NOPOX.

Nitrates came down, but never lower than 25. This didn't make any sense to me, but then I came across the threads discussing issues with the Salifert color cards. My card is the one with the black lines. When I looked at some of the side by side images of the old cards and this new one, there certainly were some huge differences. I reached out to Habib to get a new card, but he has never responded to me.

I got a color app for my phone and found an old color card at the LFS, then I did a color comparison of the two cards. The app isn't perfect but here's what it showed:

First Number is the reading using the new card and the second is using the old card:

2 - 1.5
5 - 3.5
10 - 4
25 - 5
50 - 9/10
100 - 100

I then did a test of my tank water and compared the results using both cards. On the new card, the result was a bit pinker than 25. On the old card, the result was about 5. This matches the results that the app gave me pretty closely. It also more closely resembles what I see and would expect from my tank at this nitrate level.

A couple of days ago, I bought a Seachem Nitrate test kit just because it came with a reference sample.

Using the reference sample, which is supposed to be 10 mg/L, the Seachem test kit read a tad over 10 mg/L. Using the Salifert test kit, the reference sample read 50 ppm. I know that there is a difference between mg/L and ppm, but it is very small and wouldn't explain the difference in the test results. I had returned the old Salifert test card to the LFS, so I couldn't use it for this test, but it does match the results that I found above.

I then tested my tank water using both tests. The Seachem test showed 5 mg/L and the Salifert test showed a bit more than 25 ppm. Again, this result matches what I saw with the difference in test cards.

I just thought I'd share with the group.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same issue, always 25 ppm; I will have to do more research but thanks for posting about your findings.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, last week I purchased a reference solution made by Fauna Marin. The solution is supposed to contain 11 ml/L Nitrate.

The Salifert test showed Nitrates at 50ppm and API showed a tad darker than 10ppm.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, these test kits are very inaccurate. I had these readings: nyos 8ppm.,salifert 75ppm and API 120ppm.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but i dont get the high reviews for the nitrate test kit! I am having a hard time with the pink colors for one and the directions make no sense. It says if you have a reading below 10 to look at the reading sideways and divide by 10 because the color is magnified 10 fold. The example given is if you have a 2 it would be 0.02. I am getting a 10 so I guess I am just a 10 but what If I were a 5? Am I not really 5 am I then o.o5? I dont know if they mean if you are getting a 2 after you look through the side or before and why are the number so low. I am about to buy a nyos but the numbers are all whole number like 1 3 5 I think, so I guess if I am a very low number like 0.05 then it would show as a zero or 1! I feel like an idiot because maybe I am missing something somewhere! Or maybe its that my level has never been the reaaly light pink I want from the side view. I saw a you tube and someone held it from side and it was very light so he was happy. I am wanting to be around a 3 or so. It also dosnt make sense because api says I am around 5 and have been dosing with nopox at the maximum amount for weeks and wont go below 10 or 5 or whatever the heck it is. Initially brought me down quite a bit and wont go below now. I even quit feeding with reef energy and dint change anything. Also uped dosage and possibly killed my fish and no change! I am thinking of buying hanna checker nitrate but so many steps to preform! Can anyone explain this better to me?

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usé la tarjeta apex Salifert,
Screenshot_20201019-163748.jpg

brian2kgt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but i dont get the high reviews for the nitrate test kit! I am having a hard time with the pink colors for one and the directions make no sense. It says if you have a reading below 10 to look at the reading sideways and divide by 10 because the color is magnified 10 fold. The example given is if you have a 2 it would be 0.02. I am getting a 10 so I guess I am just a 10 but what If I were a 5? Am I not really 5 am I then o.o5? I dont know if they mean if you are getting a 2 after you look through the side or before and why are the number so low. I am about to buy a nyos but the numbers are all whole number like 1 3 5 I think, so I guess if I am a very low number like 0.05 then it would show as a zero or 1! I feel like an idiot because maybe I am missing something somewhere! Or maybe its that my level has never been the reaaly light pink I want from the side view. I saw a you tube and someone held it from side and it was very light so he was happy. I am wanting to be around a 3 or so. It also dosnt make sense because api says I am around 5 and have been dosing with nopox at the maximum amount for weeks and wont go below 10 or 5 or whatever the heck it is. Initially brought me down quite a bit and wont go below now. I even quit feeding with reef energy and dint change anything. Also uped dosage and possibly killed my fish and no change! I am thinking of buying hanna checker nitrate but so many steps to preform! Can anyone explain this better to me?

When looking down from the top, the actual number on the card is your result. Now, when looking thru the side, you match the color then take the number on the card and divide by 10. So if you look thru the side and your color matches 100 that means you have 10ppm(or higher), 50=5ppm, 25=2.5ppm, 10=1ppm, 5=0.5ppm, 2=0.2ppm. So if you say you want to be around 3ppm then you want to look thru the side and match the colors for 25 to 50 (2.5 to 5ppm). I personally ignore the whole bottom row of colors when I am doing the side test because the colors are too close together and I don't need that much accuracy below 1ppm. If I am below 1ppm then I am too low. I also personally wouldn't really trust the API nitrate test especially at the low end.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back