Salifert profi-test for calcium questions.

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this test a couple times and I’m just wondering if there’s anybody else that uses it as well.When I add the CA-3 to the vial, I’m basically using the entire 1.0 ML of that solution and ending up with a result of just about 500. I am a bit skeptical of that result as I do not dose calcium and have been slacking on weekly water changes. I have very little coral which would be using the calcium but I wouldn’t expect to be that high. I am using reef crystals as my salt.

I’ve been dealing with an algae and cyano (I think) issue. The LFS suggested that maybe my levels are off, because I mentioned that my most recent Alk test was very low at around four or five. My nutrients, including po4 are all 0.

07FF52F8-CF5F-4F95-934C-501EF25A7C4A.jpeg

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I idea why that last image came through so dark. It’s basically a red mat of algae, the longer tufts are red/brownish. I also have shorter red/brown algae on most rocks.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you getting the liquid to the .85 mark? There should be air in the tube and I’ve read that 1-.85 mark should be air and .85-0 should be liquid.

Yes, I am getting to that point with that amount of air. Does it matter if the drops are placed in the vial with the included pink tip?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the pink tip needs to be on because that’s how you get the 1ml of liquid if your not using the tip it’s only .85ml

I’m not sure what exactly you are saying, but if you properly read a syringe by the travel of the front end of the rubber plunger, it does not matter if you use a tip or what size the tip may be.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what exactly you are saying, but if you properly read a syringe by the travel of the front end of the rubber plunger, it does not matter if you use a tip or what size the tip may be.

Ok thanks. The kit includes a pink pointed tip that is specified to be on the syringe when drawing up the solution, but the instructions do not specify to leave it on when dripping the solution into the vial. Idk the purpose of it.

Thanks for the reply

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. The kit includes a pink pointed tip that is specified to be on the syringe when drawing up the solution, but the instructions do not specify to leave it on when dripping the solution into the vial. Idk the purpose of it.

Thanks for the reply
The pink tip serves the purpose of making the drops smaller, so the kit has higher resolution. You should use it with the pink tip on the syringe both when drawing up the solution, and also when doing the titration. If you were to use it without the pink tip at all, it would still work the same way, but the drops would be larger, and it would have a lower resolution. Adding or removing the tip between drawing up and delivering the solution will screw the test up, so don't do that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the reply

I Would use the tip to get small drops, but the volume measurement itself isn’t impacted by a tip.

edit: Jim is faster

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back