Salifert?

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically people say that my nitrites and ammonia should be at 0 but that's technically impossible, even after 100% water changes, my test readings never gave 0 there's always a tiny bit of something like 0.1 nitrite or 0.15 ammonia, anyone with the same problem?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there fish in the tank?
Anything alive in the tank that you are feeding?

Livestock will pee and poo, and food will rot, so there is always ammonia in the water, the tank is always cycling, it never stops. The test kits these days can pick up the trace ammounts of ammonia and nitrite in the water, but the tank is cycling, means the ammonia is being converted to nitrite then nitrate fast enough.

As folks have mentioned, the nitrate level is the important number, so what is the nitrate level?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there fish in the tank?
Anything alive in the tank that you are feeding?

Livestock will pee and poo, and food will rot, so there is always ammonia in the water, the tank is always cycling, it never stops. The test kits these days can pick up the trace ammounts of ammonia and nitrite in the water, but the tank is cycling, means the ammonia is being converted to nitrite then nitrate fast enough.

As folks have mentioned, the nitrate level is the important number, so what is the nitrate level?
No fish, invertebrates only and nitrate makes me so mad, it never decreases even after 3 weeks of dosing waste away and doing water changes everyday, it's at 35 ppm

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites, nitrates and everything was always present
Are you using RO/DI water with your new salt mix? You shouldn't have any ammonia with RO/DI water. RO/DI also removes most nitrates also if I am not mistaken. Maybe have the water tested by a LFS to verify your test kits are good? How large is your tank and how large are your weekly water changes?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water with your new salt mix? You shouldn't have any ammonia with RO/DI water. RO/DI also removes most nitrates also if I am not mistaken. Maybe have the water tested by a LFS to verify your test kits are good? How large is your tank and how large are your weekly water changes?
10% twice or once weekly, maybe ammonia wasn't present but nitrate was, it's probably from the salt, the tank is 6 gallons

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason to say that nitrite should be zero, and I'd stop testing it.

I also do not consider that ammonia value a concern, whether it is real or test error (which it may be).

Some people dose ammonia, and my recommendation for them is to dose 0.1 ppm at a time anyway. :)

"IMO, it is safe to add 0.1 ppm ammonia (equivalent to 0.36 ppm nitrate) at once to any reef tank, and one can likely add more, if it mixes in well"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back