Salinity 1.029

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Will likely have to add alkalinity back in when using only RO (Depending on your starting point). Be sure to check it every couple part per thousand drop in salinity.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Will likely have to add alkalinity back in when using only RO (Depending on your starting point). Be sure to check it every couple part per thousand drop in salinity.

Thanks for the tip. I just did a water change with 1.025 and it dropped it down to 1.027ish. I’ll wait a few days before doing again. I’ll prob just pull water out here and there.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call thanks. My alk did drop

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good call thanks. My alk did drop

One thing - wait several hours before checking the alkalinity - to be sure its completely mixed. Its normal to drop some - But - it also likely rose - when you got the salinity so high. I guess I try to match my alkalinity to what my salt mixes to - and then maintain it by dosing.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 1.029 for 7+ years without knowing. Never had any issues. Made me think about keeping it there but i brought it down to 1.026 after buying my miluakee.
My coral grew pretty well and my first ever fish, a naked clown, is still alive.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change. Got her back down to 1.026. I think things are looking better already.

I talked to the CEO of the calibration solution. He's checking his batch and will make it right for me if he finds an error.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update!

I got my tank back to 1.026 and it’s never looked better ! Everything looks like it’s thriving!

My frogspawns and torch’s no longer are shriveled up and it seems like the “infections” it was getting has disappeared.

I also got a Milwaukee tester and that thing is sweet

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can’t I just take water out and let my auto top off system filled my tank ? Just a Thought .

Also is that extreme high salinity do you think that could cause a problem as long term ?

Because then it becomes a guessing game. What if you take out too much water and now your salinity ends up low? Crabs has the right idea; his approach is the proper way to deal with your problem.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason you don't want to do it that way is major salinity swings can actually kill livestock
I agree - major salinity changes can cause problems -but what happens when. the monsoons hit the reef - and there are a couple feet of rain on the reef?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - major salinity changes can cause problems -but what happens when. the monsoons hit the reef - and there are a couple feet of rain on the reef?
Yeah but how many billions upon billions of gallons of salt water is in the ocean as compared to how much I Typhoon drops. Considering the earth is 71% covered in saltwater it wouldnt make much impact.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just weighing in on 2 things.

Really 3..hope everything going good for all.

I have used a hydrometer from day one. (Long long ago) First glass float type then the cheapo plastic ones. I have a refract as well, but use 2 time a years. Rest is all hydrometer.It always matches. Just need to keep clean and change every so often to compensate for mineral deposits on the float over time. And watch for bubbles on the float when reading. No calibration needed.

I have gotten higher than I prefer to, up to 1.026. I do a 60 gallons water change with 1.023. Drops the salinity and never had an issue. Wondering how a drop in salinity would cause an issue. Besides changing oxygen levels which would go up with lower salinity I can’t think of any major event. Ph can be adjusted in the new mix with a buffer and temp matched before the change.

Thanks all.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah but how many billions upon billions of gallons of salt water is in the ocean as compared to how much I Typhoon drops. Considering the earth is 71% covered in saltwater it wouldnt make much impact.
Picture a reef that is 1 foot deep and a storm depositing 1 foot of rainwater over 24 hours - it doesnt mix instantaneously.. Or am I wrong?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture a reef that is 1 foot deep and a storm depositing 1 foot of rainwater over 24 hours - it doesnt mix instantaneously.. Or am I wrong?
Tides and currents plus the waves caused by the typhoon would keep everything well mixed up and moving around. In perspective itd be like taking a 100 gallon tank filled with saltwater and pouring in 10 ml of freshwater. Not going to make a difference :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tides and currents plus the waves caused by the typhoon would keep everything well mixed up and moving around. In perspective itd be like taking a 100 gallon tank filled with saltwater and pouring in 10 ml of freshwater. Not going to make a difference :)
Disagree. But who cares

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having some issues with my tank so I sent in for a test it registered my salinity at 38.17.

I went out and bought a new refractometer and it’s at 1.029 ! My old one shows 1.026. Even use calibration solution so I don’t understand how this is.

How long or how should I approach this to lower it?

Thank you!
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

First of all, DON'T FREAK OUT! If everything looks okay, don't panic. Marine reef creatures deal with large changes in salinity all the time.

Second, acquire a salinity instrument you trust. Test it until you trust it.

Third, make small changes to the salinity until you get it back to where you want. I can help with mixing calculations to ease the transitions, if you need. Just let me know.

Fourth, don't panic! I've had salinity swing 0.002-0.004 SG units with no ill effects. Things will be okay if none of the tank inhabitants are in peril!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back