OP
OP
Kevind0905

Kevind0905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not correct. Any given conductivity probe may not have the dynamic range to measure salinity that high, but conductivity as a method is PERFECT for measuring salinity. it is how oceanographers do it. It is how the practical salinity scale is defined! The HI 98319 does measure salinity OK, at least according to their published specifications.

Salinity of seawater measured by conductivity cannot ever be impacted either by activated carbon, or any impurity in reef aquariums.

This is not a random opinion. It is an absolute fact.

No pollutants in reef tank water serve to reduce the conductivity (and hence the salinity) in any measurable way.

All ions add to conductivity (salinity), in proportion to their concentration.

With the exception of H+ and OH-, which are very low in seawater and have no significant contribution to seawater conductivity, there are no chemicals that have any substantially bigger contribution to conductivity per ion than the main contributors to conductivity of seawater (sodium, chloride, magnesium, and sulfate).

Thus, for any chemical to raise conductivity to a substantial degree, these chemicals would have to be comparable to these ions in concentration. No such contaminants exist in reef aquariums.
Thank you Randy. Really appreciate the information and the reply. The carbon didn’t make sense to me either (hence my initial question) but, as far as I know nothing else changed and I don’t think the ATO could have put that much fresh water in the tank in that shirt a time without flooding something. At this point I’m trying to get used to the idea that I’m not going to know. Again, thank you for the reply.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back