Salinity and osmotic shock

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading threads abt adjusting salinity, I haven’t found a definitive answer of how much you can drop salinity in one go (For fish only). Is 0.002 ok? Or even 0.005? Completely hypothetical questions, just wondering.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is tough to answer. For example, you can give a freshwater dip where you go from full salinity, then fresh for five minutes, then back to full salinity. I’ve never had a fish experience long term problems from that. But I believe many struggle when getting fish online at 1.015 specific gravity and trying to put them immediately into full salinity aquarium water. When I quarantine a new fish, I would certainly acclimate them to full strength seawater over the course of a couple weeks.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, I believe that drops of .002 and .005 salinity are within the safe range for fish.

If I remember correctly, you can safely drop the salinity much faster than you can safely raise the salinity. More salt in the water = less dissolved gas. And since non-anadromous saltwater fish are adapted to losing water from their bodies (as opposed to water entering their bodies like with freshwater fish), dropping the salinity can help with the stress.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I post in a wrong theme, sorry.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back