Salinity calibration solution

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Hanna calibration solution 35ppt the same as any other 35ppt solution ?

if using to calibrate the Hanna salinity checker .
can I store the solution for future calibrating refractometer ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it says not for the use on refractometers.

I’ve seen reefers who keep the solution in a air tight container however I wouldn’t recommend this if you want accurate results in the long term.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been buying this for years, I didn't know anything else existed or mattered.

Screenshot_20220403-060729.png

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been buying this for years, I didn't know anything else existed or mattered.

Screenshot_20220403-060729.png
Yep brightwells, salifert ect all do the same product designed for refractometers.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never understood why people buy calibration solution when it is incredibly cheap to make your own. All it takes is some rodi water, table salt, and preferably some cheap scales to measure everything.
Here is the previously mentioned article from Randy that tells how to make the calibration solution for refractometer, conductivity, and hydrometers. I use these recipes and couldn’t be happier with the results.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never understood why people buy calibration solution when it is incredibly cheap to make your own. All it takes is some rodi water, table salt, and preferably some cheap scales to measure everything.
Here is the previously mentioned article from Randy that tells how to make the calibration solution for refractometer, conductivity, and hydrometers. I use these recipes and couldn’t be happier with the results.
I agree however that’s like saying why do people buy a takeaway pizza dropped to their door when they could just make a pizza from home.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eh, it was 5 bucks. I can make it, but for the convenience im good with buying it. Not like I'm going through a ton of it.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was
Looking for that link .

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, it was 5 bucks. I can make it, but for the convenience im good with buying it. Not like I'm going through a ton of it.
I also make my own because I trust my homemade solution more than I do store bought ones. I’ve had a bottle of calibration solution in the past that was wrong, which was what made me decide to start making my own. So for me it isn’t just a cost reason.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember years ago . There used to be another floating or bobbing hydrometer that was fairly cheap .
but at the time . It was a pain to read in the tank .

funny to see tm came out with the same thing . But pricy .
No need for calibration solution . But I’m assuming temp is critical ?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is the Hanna calibration solution 35ppt the same as any other 35ppt solution ?

if using to calibrate the Hanna salinity checker .
can I store the solution for future calibrating refractometer ?
NO, you can't use it on a refractometer. I found this out yesterday when I was recalibrating all my probes/equipment.

I ran out of refractometer calibration fluid so I calibrated the Hanna first. Then mixed up water and let it mix for 12 hours. Checked it again with the Hanna to exactly 35ppm and then calibrated the refractometer using the new salt water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what Hanna uses to make their 35 ppt standard. Some standards are seawater composition so can be used on other devices, and some are not so are device type specific.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what the package states

9EB1DCD3-4163-42FD-BC9E-4378BB7514D3.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back