Salinity Drop 1.025 to 1.022.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have somewhat of an emergency as I would like to know if this is a major concern. I am out of town at the moment and received a notice via apex as I have a salinity probe that salinity was dropping in the tank. This stuff always happens when you are away and it was 3am - called wife and shut off my gravity fed ATO to my sump. I do of course have a checklist of item to do and one is to remove all the socks ... I only left one sock on, which was the output from my external skimmer. My wife identified the problem quickly where leak was and removed this sock.

I actually had a solenoid between the RO holding tank and sump configured to shutoff water flow but solenoid failed two days before my trip! I just didn't have time to purchase another before I left out of town.this is something I will post on another thread to see what other do with solenoid and apex configuration!

This is a FOWLR - but do have some anenomes as well as a giant hermit crab. My main concern is the impact of a drop of .03 of salinity. Fish seem to be OK, but should I be concerned. I am just leaving ATO off until I get back in town and hopefully salinity just rise neutrally. When I get home I may mix salt water in ATO to speed up process, but really wouldn't want to increase salinity more then .01 a day anyway.

Thanks!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan, as long as you're sure the salinity actually dropped, and not a probe issue.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea. I do agree that the apex salinity probes are not the most accurate and reliable, but in my case I feel it has been working quite good. Seeing an instant drop like the pic attached definitely was a concern. Once filter sock removed and ATO turned off it looks like drop of gravity stopped immedietly and see salinity slowly increasing.
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 10.23.25 PM.png

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't act based on the Apex Salinity probe. Do you have a more reliable way to check, Refractometer or Hydrometer?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, that drop is either test error (like a bubble on the electrode) or a sign of a leak or overflow being replace rapidly by RO/DI. Since it stopped, the former is the likely explanation.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't act based on the Apex Salinity probe. Do you have a more reliable way to check, Refractometer or Hydrometer?
yes, of course but not home and wife doesn't know how to use refractometer. I am happy I was able to walk her through the process of shutting off the ATO. I am relying on the probe because it has been (for the most part) quite reliable - and not to mention the filter sock overflow was identified as the culprit.

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dropped from 1.026 to about 1.022 or 1.023 it's that close help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back