Salinity for cycling and adding fish

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will begin cycling my tank soon. I will be using ATI and BioSpira bacteria and dosing ammonia. Same process as my 1st tank.

I have a couple questions.

What is the minimum to have salinity at for cycling? I ask because there is no reason to waste salt if I don’t have too.

And that leads to question 2. I will be adding fish first. And typically salinity is much lower than 1.026. So I would like to keep the tank around, let’s say 1.020 while I am adding fish.

Then, mid spring, a friend will be bringing my coral down to me from Ohio. A few weeks prior to that, I would like to begin slowly raising my salinity back up to 1.025-1.026.

Anyone see any issues with that?

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will begin cycling my tank soon. I will be using ATI and BioSpira bacteria and dosing ammonia. Same process as my 1st tank.

What is the minimum to have salinity at for cycling? I ask because there is no reason to waste salt if I don’t have too.

And that leads to question 2. I will be adding fish first. And typically salinity is much lower than 1.026. So I would like to keep the tank around, let’s say 1.020 while I am adding fish.

Then, mid spring, a friend will be bringing my coral down to me from Ohio. A few weeks prior to that, I would like to begin slowly raising my salinity back up to 1.025-1.026.

Thanks!
As long as your salinity is anywhere between 1.023 and 1.026 for fish you'll be fine. When you are looking to add corals you'll want to slowly raise it up to the 1.026.

James Moreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
IMO 1.020 is low for fish and why not just keep the salinity at 1.025 ?

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your salinity is anywhere between 1.023 and 1.026 for fish you'll be fine. When you are looking to add corals you'll want to slowly raise it up to the 1.026.

Thanks Crabs. Wasn’t sure how low was safe for fish.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 1.020 is low for fish and why not just keep the salinity at 1.025 ?

Hi James. Couple reasons for asking. 1 is to simply save on salt. I will be doing a lot of water changes at the beginning for nutrient control.

Second is because fish are typically sent in lower salinity water. Acclimation is less stressful if I only have to raise salinity a point or two. And since I won’t be adding corals until I get some stability, I’m thinking it’s a good idea.

Thanks for your input

James Moreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James. Couple reasons for asking. 1 is to simply save on salt. I will be doing a lot of water changes at the beginning for nutrient control.

Second is because fish are typically sent in lower salinity water. Acclimation is less stressful if I only have to raise salinity a point or two. And since I won’t be adding corals until I get some stability, I’m thinking it’s a good idea.
Thanks for your input
I understand!

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recommendations I have found say anywhere from 1.021 to 1.026. The lower being fish only and the higher being when you add corals. I have my fish only tank at 1.025 even though I don't have corals.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back