Adding cuc before fish

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is done cycling and I am planning on adding copepods to the tank before adding any fish, figured it would give them some time to settle in, and the population increase before there are any predators. I will be feeding the tank phytoplankton. I was also thinking of adding the cuc into the tank while the 1st fish I add is in qt, leaving the cuc in the tank without fish for the same amount of time as the fish is in qt. I was hoping that keeping the cuc with no fish would prevent the cuc infecting the tank with anything. Would this work?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
add them together. iMHO

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is done cycling and I am planning on adding copepods to the tank before adding any fish, figured it would give them some time to settle in, and the population increase before there are any predators. I will be feeding the tank phytoplankton. I was also thinking of adding the cuc into the tank while the 1st fish I add is in qt, leaving the cuc in the tank without fish for the same amount of time as the fish is in qt. I was hoping that keeping the cuc with no fish would prevent the cuc infecting the tank with anything. Would this work?
The problem I see is what will your CUC eat? With no fish there will be no detritus, no fish poop, which help create nitrate/phosphate, which other CUC eat. You will need to pick your CUC carefully, and supplement their feeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back