Salinity is a bit high

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is a bit high it’s at 1.028 What do I do?
What if I don’t have RO/ID water at this late hour??? Will it kill my fish?
What if I add purified water bottled water to help bring down salinity a bit?
What if I put purified water bottle to bring salinity BUT then bring down salinity down to 1.023-1.024??
Will adding purified water bottled water kill the fish??

I have to wait till tomorrow morning to get the RO water.
Help!!

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One clownfish unfortunately died today. I took it out immediately when I saw it when I went back to check on the coral and fishes. I don’t know if it was the green canary blenny that attacked it because I think they are a bit venomous right? Or I don’t know if the clownfish died due to the salinity a bit high but all other fishes look ok… for now.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a huge concern but my first question would be:
What would you normally be topping off with (even if salinity were perfectly where you want it)?

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a huge concern but my first question would be:
What would you normally be topping off with (even if salinity were perfectly where you want it)?
I don’t too it off with anything I wasn’t told anything about topping it off with any other water when I went to buy the tank

I can’t just add a tiny bit of freshwater to bring it down a bit? I’m just so worried and concerned and my anxiety is through the roof because one died and the salinity is a bit high

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity is not a huge problem, you can wait till the morning, or use distilled water, make sure it hasn't got minerals added, as some add minerals to make the water taste better, you want 100% pure distilled water, supermarkets sell it.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish will be fine. Your corals would sulk first.
When i bought my purple tang from a fellow reefer his water checked out around the same salinity as yours and his fish were happy. No need to stress.
That being said, your tank has saltwater but there will be a constant level of evaporation, meaning you will loose water but all the minerals(salt) stays in the tank. That is why we top up with freshwater, to keep the salinity consistent. Most people have automatic top ups for that. But you can top up manually as well, tapwater is not a good source though coz you will have things like heavy metals, chloride, nitrate, etc. in it.
Ro water would be best to top up.

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish will be fine. Your corals would sulk first.
When i bought my purple tang from a fellow reefer his water checked out around the same salinity as yours and his fish were happy. No need to stress.
That being said, your tank has saltwater but there will be a constant level of evaporation, meaning you will loose water but all the minerals(salt) stays in the tank. That is why we top up with freshwater, to keep the salinity consistent. Most people have automatic top ups for that. But you can top up manually as well, tapwater is not a good source though coz you will have things like heavy metals, chloride, nitrate, etc. in it.
Ro water would be best to top up.
I will be buying RO tomorrow

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your tank fully cycled before you added fish? Sounds like a brand new setup if you have never topped it off and are only at 1.028.
Yes it was fully cycled before adding fish. It is a new tank but I wasn’t told right away that I had to top it off

OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.028 is fine. No worries. Also are you using a refractometer? If so make sure you buy calibration solution as well. Dont use fresh water to calibrate.
Also, what is happening to my candy cane coral??? It looks like the head of the coral is coming off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 18

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t too it off with anything I wasn’t told anything about topping it off with any other water when I went to buy the tank
Sorry, but this statement SCARES me.
Water evaporates so you have to replace it with freshwater (ideally RO/DI water).
*salt doesn't evaporate so if you never top off (with freshwater) you're salinity will continue to rise

EDIT -- just re-read your first post and see that you recently joined:
- No need for panic
- Going forward, you need to make sure you're replacing water with FRESH water not saltwater (RO/DI best but distilled OK-ish for a while)
- Could be as simple (to start) as get salinity where you want and mark a water line (tape/whatever)
- At least daily, add freshwater to get level back up to that line

Long-term -- research what freshwater you want to use (most end up with RO/DI systems) and how you want to "top off" (most use some type of ATO = Auto Top Off system)

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

naybedg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but this statement SCARES me.
Water evaporates so you have to replace it with freshwater (ideally RO/DI water).
*salt doesn't evaporate so if you never top off (with freshwater) you're salinity will continue to rise

EDIT -- just re-read your first post and see that you recently joined:
- No need for panic
- Going forward, you need to make sure you're replacing water with FRESH water not saltwater (RO/DI best but distilled OK-ish for a while)
- Could be as simple (to start) as get salinity where you want and mark a water line (tape/whatever)
- At least daily, add freshwater to get level back up to that line

Long-term -- research what freshwater you want to use (most end up with RO/DI systems) and how you want to "top off" (most use some type of ATO = Auto Top Off system)
Ok thank you so much I will do that I’m going to the aquarium store to get that water

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity level this is the very most simple part of enjoying a marine aquarium, we need a kindergarten page to put these ......cheers

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what is happening to my candy cane coral??? It looks like the head of the coral is coming off?
I would suggest to list your parameters and some tank history info. What test kits are you using?

Salinity of 1.028 will not kill a fish or make the candy cane coral bale out, something is off in your tank.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to list your parameters and some tank history info. What test kits are you using?

Salinity of 1.028 will not kill a fish or make the candy cane coral bale out, something is off in your tank.
They haven't been topping off fresh water to replace evaporation...
Brand new tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back