Salinity Issue

Nurfed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. While I was at work today my skimmer went nuts and turned my entire sump into foam. Kicked on my ato and dropped my salinity to 32ppt.

Would you guys try to bring it up by water changes or just let it evaporate back out to normal? There’s probably 1-2 days worth of fresh water that got pumped in.

Anemone and corals are all ticked off of course.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. While I was at work today my skimmer went nuts and turned my entire sump into foam. Kicked on my ato and dropped my salinity to 32ppt.

Would you guys try to bring it up by water changes or just let it evaporate back out to normal? There’s probably 1-2 days worth of fresh water that got pumped in.

Top off using salt water at correct ppt.

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you normally keep your salinity at? and how long has it been at 32ppt?

if it hasn't been at 32 for very long, and you keep at 35, I would probably raise it to 33 than slowly get it back to 35 with top off water. You can use Hamzas reef calculator to figure out how much salt you need to add to the display and to the ATO. Obviously mix it before adding.

remove some water so your sensor is level.

if its been at 32 for a day or so I would probably just raise it slowly to 35ppt with the ATO

OP
OP
N

Nurfed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you normally keep your salinity at? and how long has it been at 32ppt?

if it hasn't been at 32 for very long, and you keep at 35, I would probably raise it to 33 than slowly get it back to 35 with top off water. You can use Hamzas reef calculator to figure out how much salt you need to add to the display and to the ATO. Obviously mix it before adding.

remove some water so your sensor is level.

if its been at 32 for a day or so I would probably just raise it slowly to 35ppt with the ATO
It just happened. I keep it at 35

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then wait until it needs top off and use saltwater.
I would remove the excess water down to normal level or just under. It'll start the process sooner. Lowering salinity quickly isn't as harmful as raising it quickly.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But, if everything is ticked off, raise it 1 ppm now. It won't hurt anything and might help them to be less ticked off.
Take a cup out and add salt to the cup and dump it back in the sump area.
I've done this hundreds of not thousands of times. It will mix with the sump, get mixed as it goes back up the pipe and it hits your tank and mixes more.
Let the rest evap.

Back